Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 02-25-2008, 05:39 PM

import xml file from Word

I want to import a Word file that is saved as XML format. The save from Word seems to work OK but when I try to import it and UR asks for attributes, the dialogue box remains empty; i.e. there is nothing to match it to. Is there a step I am missing? When I compare what I get to what I see in the example in the help file, I am just not getting any fields to work with.
Help!
Old 02-25-2008, 09:17 PM
Administrator

Don't use the XML import option to import a Word document, even if it was saved in Office Open XML format -- it's not actually an XML file, but rather a ZIP file containing XML (and sometimes other) files. Use the file import option.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:36 PM

Well, so much for that idea. I wanted a way to import a structured outline such that it would be retained by UR, but I guess this isn't the way to do it. Will that ever be possible?
Old 02-26-2008, 08:32 AM
Administrator

To import an outline such that a hierarchy of nodes are created in UR requires an XML (OML/OPML) file with such a hierarchy (export a branch to XML to see what it expects). I don't believe the XML files in a Word .docx file define a hierarchy like that for Word outlines, but if it does you could extract the XML file from the .docx (ZIP) file and import that.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: