Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2007, 02:39 PM

let me delete user keywords from the dialog

Hi,

This began as a discussion in the General Discussion area. I had a user defined keyword that I associated with lots of URP3 items.

Later, I no longer wanted to use that keyword.

My understanding is that the only way to delete a user defined keyword from the dialog is to uncheck for all items that have it checked.

I have tested this, and I understand that I can do it as a batch process. Which is workable. It's much better than what I'd initially feared, that I'd have to go through this unchecking process for each item individually.

But it's still more work than it ought to be. Here's what I believe I currently have to do:

#1 - open the keyword dialog to make sure I have the keyword spelling exactly. This is especially important to do if I have keywords that are similar in appearance, for example, week1284 versus week1384.

#2 - close the keyword dialog. Open the search pane and select Advanced Search.

#3 - Clear that search of any previous searches.

#4 - Create a new query with my user-defined keyword and Search only user-defined keywords checked.

#5 - Click Start

#6 - In the Related Items Pane, select all items (Ctrl+A).

#7 - Open the Keyword Dialog a second time.

#8 - Locate the user-defined keyword. If all is working properly, then it should be checked.

#9 - Uncheck the user-defined keyword.

#10 - Close the dialog and continue on with my work.

Before going on - do I have this correct or have I made this way too complex? I'm definitely open to an easier procedure.

If I've got it right...

Much easier methinks it would be to simply have a delete button in the dialog, find the no-longer-needed keyword and delete it right then and there.

Now - if my request is a programmer's nightmare, then good enough. I'll leave this alone and be happy. For this is but a minor problem now that I fully understand how to use the dialog as it now works.

But if it's NOT a programming nightmare and you are thinking that this is how the user interface ought to be, then we disagree.

I'd have no problem with you giving me an "Are you sure?" alert that comes up when I click the Delete button, though I'm also willing to let that be my lookout.

So there you are. I've made my case for the Delete button for user-defined keywords in the Keywords Dialog.

Thoughts?

Regards,
Bal
Old 10-21-2007, 02:49 PM

Re: let me delete user keywords from the dialog

Quote:
Originally posted by wordmuse

Much easier methinks it would be to simply have a delete button in the dialog, find the no-longer-needed keyword and delete it right then and there.

If you equate Key Words in UR with Categories in Outlook (2007), then in Outlook when you delete a category, that category is automatically removed/deleted from all emails, contacts whatever, that the category was previously assigned to. (And in fact when you import Outlook Items into UR, the Outlook Categories become User Defined Key Words in UR)..

I hope it is easy enough to provide the same facility in UR to delete a User Defined Key Word, and to thus have that Key Word automatically removed from all associated Items.. Much more efficient and intuitive...

Ian
Old 10-22-2007, 04:31 PM
Administrator

#1 through #5 can be replaced by "In the Item Keywords dialog (Ctrl+K), select the keyword and click Search (Alt+S)" (if the keyword contains punctuation, you may also need to prefix the Quick Search it creates with a double quote character). We've also added to the feature request list the ability to delete a user-defined keyword from all items in one step.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:18 AM

Kinook,

in the keyword dialog, user defined keywords part, when user defined keyword contains non letter/number sign, please enclose it in double quotes when searching for it, just like you do when you search in the case keyword actually has more that one word. Thanks
Old 10-24-2007, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kinook
#We've also added to the feature request list the ability to delete a user-defined keyword from all items in one step.
Terrific! Thanks much.

Your responsiveness to we users is truly appreciated.

Best Regards,
Bal
Old 11-16-2007, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kinook [snip] We've also added to the feature request list the ability to delete a user-defined keyword from all items in one step.
Kinook, Is this on the horizon?