Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 09-04-2007, 11:29 AM

Question Copy/Link Of MS Office files

Hi all,

First post. Note sure if this is a suggestion or a request for help but when I import an Excel, Powerpoint, or Word document into UR, the Item Details window really isn't readable. The formatting is not right and there really isn't much useful information I can gather. I do not mind opening the files to actually read or update them. I'd really rather have the Details window allow me to add comments or notes. I know that there is a separate Notes window but that wouldn't be necessary if the file contents wasn't displayed in the Details window.

I love the program a lot. I just don't understand what advantage it is to have the contents of each Office file garbled for display in the Details window. Maybe I'm not using the program properly.

Thank-you,

Marty
Old 09-04-2007, 11:45 AM

Just a Stab in the Dark

Check Tools | Options | Browser - File extension to display in internal broswer view

You will need to add the various MS Office file extensions to this list to have them rendered by the internal browser in the Detail Pane.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:11 PM

Copy/Link of MS Office files

Thank-you for the suggestion. Now the files always display in an external browser or the appropriate application. The Details pane is empty but still useless. I would really like to add notes or comments to this pane. It's part of my standard UR view but is of no real use when working with Office files.

If I choose to link the file, the path to the file is displayed in the Details pane, which seems like a good thing. However, after I click on the link, the link disappears from the Details pane until I go to another Item in the tree pane and then return.

Still a fabulous program and I'm learning to work through the details....

Marty
Old 09-04-2007, 12:32 PM

Re: Copy/Link of MS Office files

Quote:
Originally posted by martym
Thank-you for the suggestion. Now the files always display in an external browser or the appropriate application. The Details pane is empty but still useless. I would really like to add notes or comments to this pane. It's part of my standard UR view but is of no real use when working with Office files.
Unless you add the various file extensions to the internal browser list to render, these files will continue to be opened externally by their native application.

When Importing (Copy,Move,Link) data files (in your case MS Office files) into UR, the Item Type created is Document, the Detail Pane will always be the internal broswer for this Item Type.

Because the Detail Pane for a Document Item Type (data file) is the internal broswer, this Detail Pane will not accept text input.

If you want to add notes to this Item Type you will need to invoke the Item Notes Pane (Ctrl-5).

Otherwise, see this thread to create an info-header for imported data files:

http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...&threadid=2857

Hope this Helps.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:01 PM

Thank-you for the pointer to the Document template. I am able to view office files in the internal browser with one exception. WORD documents always open externally.

I've added .doc along with all the other Office file extensions using the TOOLS/OPTIONS menu. Does anyone know what I might have done wrong?

Again, it's only .doc files that open externally. Powerpoint, Project, and Excel can be viewed in the internal browser.

Thank-you,

Marty
Old 09-06-2007, 04:17 PM
Administrator

http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...?threadid=1042
Old 09-07-2007, 07:25 AM

Talking Success!

Kinook,

All I can say is THANK-YOU!!!! It worked like a champ and I learned something too!

Marty

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: