Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Old 03-08-2011, 02:21 AM

Exclude from search attribute

Information overload is one of the problems I use URP to help me with. Of course, the bigger the collection of data and the more complexity it has, the greater the "opportunities" for clutter. Clutter remains a problem for me, even with URP's powerful search and filter capabilities.

One thing that could help me in a big way would be to have a yes/no attribute called something like "Exclude from searches." If toggled to yes, then no search would bring it into view. If set to no, then it would be included just as it is today.

If I know that there is some information that I'll never want by way of search, then I can create a template with the attribute toggled yes and be confident that I can keep it tucked away from view until such time as I need it, in which case I can browse to it via the explorer pane.

Thanks.
- Bal
Old 03-08-2011, 08:21 AM
Administrator

You could create your own attribute for that, and then use an advanced search with that attribute equal to no to exclude.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:56 AM

Hadn't thought of that. And I will implement it.

However, this requires, as you say, an advanced search, and it would require an advanced search every time I wanted to exclude these items.

On the other hand, if it were built directly into URP's native functionality, then even a simple search would produce my desired result, yes?

Hopefully this makes some kind of sense?
- Bal
Old 03-09-2011, 10:05 AM
Administrator

There really is no difference between Quick Search and Advanced Search, since the quick search filter is always available. You can even convert the Quick Search item to an advanced search.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:05 PM

I think I must not be communicating well today. Or perhaps I am and just not getting it. Either way, I'll try once more and let it rest. I view this as a "nice to have" rather than a must have like hoisting.

Suppose there was a GLOBAL way to tell URP - if attribute-x is toggled yes, ignore this item in ALL SEARCHES. I wouldn't have to set up a search to include a attribute-x = yes parameter. URP would just know to ignore all items so toggled when it came to searches - period.

You might even have a checkbox in the advanced search area that says Override Attribute-x.

I see this as quite different than setting up individual searches, whether simple or not, that includes a user-entered parameter of "not attribute-x."

OK - that's it for me on this one. I'm pleased with URP as it is currently configured and look forward to the advances shown on the roadmap.

Thanks for your time.

- Bal

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: