Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2006, 02:25 PM

More Powerful RTF Editor

Can you please consider embedding a more powerful RTF editor in UR?

The editor in MyInfo supports tables, numbered lists, styles and a bunch of other stuff that UR doesn't support. I know you can edit documents externally, but that partially defeats the purpose of UR. Plus, when you use an external editor and then try to view the document in UR, it often messes up the formatting.

Call me crazy, but I think it's kind of strange that such a sophisticated application is saddled with such a primitive editor.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:34 PM

O.K. I’ll call you crazy, but I agree with you all the way. A few of the other tree based information managers have far better rich text editing as well. I think some of them use d a third party rich edit control and include it within their framework.

I suppose you have tried using .doc in the “file extensions to display in internal browser” under the browser options. Doing that embeds MS word within UR instead of opening the document separately. That is a nice feature, but has to go through the same or more gyrations to open and save the file as it would if the Word document were opened externally. It would be better (and faster) to have a more functional RTF editor as the default. .
Old 11-16-2006, 02:46 PM

Yeah, and some of us, who don't enjoy paying Microsoft their exhorbinant fees for Office have opted out of the Microsoft monopoly and use Open Office instead. OO is supposed to have an ActiveX control, but I haven't been able to get it to work within UR.

Anyway, as you mentioned, whether or not you can actually get an external application to work within UR is a moot point. UR should include a modern built-in editor, not something from the Atari days :-)

Admin note: Line spacing, styles, bullets/numbering, tab, super/subscript, tables, hyperlinks, alignment, indents are now available in UR