Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Old 03-07-2006, 07:00 PM

utlizing search results - Outlook Integration - and road map

Kevin

It has been discussed quite a bit already, and many including yourself I believe agree, that there are some significant limitations in what can be done with search results - for example if I recollect correctly, they can't be dragged and dropped to create links to other items in the tree etc, etc...

I don't know whether the road map article in the version history thread is now out of date relative to the content and priority ordering of future enhancements altogether, but there is nowehere it seems that states any changes to search results functionality?

Your comments about this and about the roadmap in general would be very helpful.

Thanks,

P.S. There seem to be no further enhancements planned, or at least explicitly listed, to be made to Outlook integration either? Especially the ability easily export UR items to Outlook, and ideally to synchronize changes in both directions - particularly for contacts and tasks.

IJG
Old 03-08-2006, 07:34 PM

The Ultra Recall roadmap forum post has been updated, and is now current.

We currently do not have plans to implement additional Outlook integration in Ultra Recall.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:21 PM

frustration

Why are the UR developers not doing anything further with the Outlook integration? I am incredibly frustrated that software developers in general do not recognize that OL is the standard. Do not get me wrong - I am not happy with the MSFT monopoly and I do not think it is a perfect product I am just recognizing that it is here to stay. The way to break the OL monopoly is turn it into a info standard, ie use the OL items as date for better applications like UR. Many users are simply unwilling or unable to abandone OL and use another app. If a new app synchs with OL they can try it, become proficient, and eventually leave OL all together (except as a data storage format). OL is simplistic - I agree. I need better, more dynamic ways to manipulate contacts, tasks, notes, emails, web pages, documents, etc. Yes, that is UR. However, I am not going to give up the ability to have all my contacts, tasks and calendars in OL. Why? what if I use exchange, what if I want to move to another app, crm, PIM, etc (they all import from OL), what if I need to use plaxo or linkedin or anything else that wisely uses OL as a base and builds functionality.
ARGHHHHHHHHH.
Just give us an app the synchs with OL items. If I change the name of a task in UR, change it in OL. If I change a phone number for Mr. Smith in OL, reflet that in UR. Capiche????
ARGHHHHHHHHHHH
Old 03-09-2006, 07:46 PM

.... could look at the reason like this

Outlook 2003, and its evolution into Outlook 12 later this year is huge - millions of users... and you could see this as a rapidly expanding worldwide network of emails, tasks, contacts, schedules etc... where of course the network has private or self contained clusters..... but individuals like me, dan360 and many, many others need to hang much more sophisticated information management, information connectivity & integration around all those Outlook items - but at the same time keep fully synchronous with them....

So for Kinook, there is the surely amazing opportunity of leveraging sales off of a truly massive user base.... and there must be ultimately hundreds of thousands of people needing more than even Outlook 12 will provide.....

Oh well, just when we thought UR might be the future proof 'universal' business/personal whatever information integrator, it seems that development is being halted relative to the most important data source out there... Outlook Data....

Omea Pro did it, but they fell flat due to I guess a really naff user interface, no proper random notes system, and so forth... But anyway, Omea showed that it is eminently possible to fully synchronize with Outlook, 100% in both directions.

The next step, prior to the more ambitious full sync, would be a relatively simple mechansim to export contacts & tasks from UR to Outlook... yes I know there is a macro made available to export tasks, but I think it would be great if Kevin could create a UR function to do this that more fully mirrors the intersectable fields between both products...

Anyone else got any strong opinions on Outlook Integration?
Old 03-10-2006, 06:37 AM
Administrator

We'll add it to the list (a list whose size quickly approaches infinity :^).
Old 03-10-2006, 02:08 PM

Kevin

That's REALLY great....

IJG
Old 03-10-2006, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kinook
We'll add it to the list (a list whose size quickly approaches infinity :^).
In a sense, that's actually a good thing. It is to a product's credit that it can be improved indefinitely.

But as I'm also sure you are aware, as the list quickly approaches infinity, the informativeness of saying "It is on the list," quickly approaches zero.

Last edited by srdiamond; 03-10-2006 at 09:04 PM.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:28 PM

maybe kevin would consider creating as simple web based opinion poll - to all users of UR, with a list of the currently known feature requests, ones that Kinook are practically able to program into new releases in the coming 12 months - and ask for preferred prioritization... while not being the black & white decision maker for what gets built and when, it might somewhat optimize the list according to users current needs generally speaking...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: