Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 08-09-2009, 02:15 AM

Custom Template for Create a Document

If a use a Custom Template to create a Word Document in UR, how can I create automatically this document as external Document. I want to have both simultanealy.

Thanks
Old 08-10-2009, 12:13 AM

Could be I don't understand your question.

What I do is create the the item/note based upon the template and make sure I update the URL field and then press the synch key. Works pretty good. (but then I create all my notes in rtf and not doc.

If you keep everything in the same directory then maybe the template could have the URL partially filled then when you create the item you can just finish the file name in the url.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:54 AM

Re: Custom Template for Create a Document

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto Ttt
If a use a Custom Template to create a Word Document in UR, how can I create automatically this document as external Document. I want to have both simultanealy.

Thanks
Create the Word document first, then drag/drop it to the Templates folder, this will create a Template that contains the Word doc.

If, for example, the Word doc were a blank form you would need to reduce the resulting URL for the Template Item to just the .doc extension. Otherwise when you use the UR Template (Word doc) any changes will be reflected back to the original Word doc.

Once you have the Word doc as a UR Template it can be assigned as the Default Child Template of any exisitng Template. Then from the Parent Item in the Data Explorer use the Insert key to create the Child Item.

With focus on the Child Item (Word doc) Ctrl-J will open the file externally in Word, if you don't want to work in the Word doc in the UR Browser display.

Or, you can place a copy of the UR Template (of the Word doc) as a child of any exisitng UR Template, the child will be created along with the parent in actual use.

If this didn't answer your question, come back.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:52 AM
Administrator

It depends on what you mean by an external document. If you have a custom UR template for a Word document, creating a new item of that template will create a stored Word document in UR. If you then edit the item's document internally or externally, a temporary external copy of the file will be created in the UR temp path for editing with Word (and updated in UR afterwards). The external copy will be deleted when exiting UR.

If you want the external copy of the Word document to be kept permanently in some other location on your file system, after creating the item in UR, set the item's URL attribute to the path+filename to use, then sync the item (Item | Synchronize) to create the file in the location specified in the URL attribute. I would recommend then unstoring the item from UR (Item | Store Contents) so that editing will open this external copy instead of a temporary copy of the stored document.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:45 PM

Analizing all the answers, I assume that the easiest way is:

1) Having a Blank Document (template) in a Windows Folder
2) Copy and paste this document and rename it conveniently (in the same Folder)
3) Drag and Drop into the UR Tree

Now I have a new (Stored plus a Linked document) in the Info-Item.

Am I OK?

Gracias (My language is Spanish)
Old 08-11-2009, 05:20 AM
Administrator

Yes, but be aware that if stored+linked, UR will create a temp copy for internal/external editing. Use Item | Synchronize to update the linked file with changes made to the stored copy.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:35 PM

OK

Gracias

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: