Kinook Software Forums

Go Back   Kinook Software Forums > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-30-2012, 11:55 AM
seanferns seanferns is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: 01-30-2012
Posts: 56
portable, keyboard shortcuts and navigation

I have been trying UR for a few days and have a few queries:

1. I downloaded the zip file and extracted it to a folder. I believe that this is supposed to run in portable mode but all settings seem to be going into the registry. Shouldn't they be saved into some sort of ini file in the same folder ? I had installed UR more than a year ago but I have uninstalled it since. The plan is to use this from a USB drive.

2. I have been using Info Select for a while now and got used to the keyboard shortcuts hardly ever requiring the mouse. For example to insert a note, press N and press L for a single line of text. Is that possible in UR ? Alternatively, is it possible to reconfigure the default keyboard commands for inserting an item as a sibling or child ? I would prefer Ins to be used for sibling and Shift-Ins for child. I don't see these under Tools->Customize->Keyboard

3. How do I disable the double-click on an item opening up in Word ? Pressing Enter does the same thing and I would like to disable that too and use Enter for moving from the Data Explorer to the RTF editor pane.

4. While moving from item to item in the Data Explorer, the focus stays in DE except when on a search. I have deselected all the three options under Tools->Options->Trees(More)->Selection/Focus and restarted UR but the focus still moves away and I need to click back or press Ctrl-1

5. Is it possible to change the background color of the editor for a particular item or for all items ?

.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-30-2012, 01:04 PM
kinook kinook is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: 03-06-2001
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanferns View Post
I have been trying UR for a few days and have a few queries:

1. I downloaded the zip file and extracted it to a folder. I believe that this is supposed to run in portable mode but all settings seem to be going into the registry. Shouldn't they be saved into some sort of ini file in the same folder ? I had installed UR more than a year ago but I have uninstalled it since. The plan is to use this from a USB drive.[/I]
To force Ultra Recall to run in portable mode (for instance, when run from a regular hard drive or a USB hard drive that isn't identified as removable), create an empty text file named UltraRecall.ini in the same path as UltraRecall.exe and restart Ultra Recall.
http://www.kinook.com/UltraRecall/Ma...stallation.htm

Quote:
2. I have been using Info Select for a while now and got used to the keyboard shortcuts hardly ever requiring the mouse. For example to insert a note, press N and press L for a single line of text. Is that possible in UR ?
Single key shortcuts aren't possible in UR -- typing a keystroke performs the standard Windows behavior (entering text in a text control, navigating to a matching item in trees and lists, etc.).

Quote:
Alternatively, is it possible to reconfigure the default keyboard commands for inserting an item as a sibling or child ? I would prefer Ins to be used for sibling and Shift-Ins for child. I don't see these under Tools->Customize->Keyboard
A few of the shortcuts can't be modified in UR. In those cases, you would need to use a macro program to map other shortcuts to the predefined ones.

Quote:
3. How do I disable the double-click on an item opening up in Word ? Pressing Enter does the same thing and I would like to disable that too and use Enter for moving from the Data Explorer to the RTF editor pane.
Extract and double-click DisableOpenDocumentOnDoubleClick.reg in the attachment and restart UR. But you can't map Enter to move focus between panes, as it would also take apply in the text editor and other edit controls, preventing Enter from being typed. Tab already does move from the DE to detail pane, and you can map other shortcuts to the View | Other Windows | Next Pane / Previous Pane commands.

Quote:
4. While moving from item to item in the Data Explorer, the focus stays in DE except when on a search. I have deselected all the three options under Tools->Options->Trees(More)->Selection/Focus and restarted UR but the focus still moves away and I need to click back or press Ctrl-1
Don't use the Search command (Edit | Search) to perform a search (which always focuses the search text field to allow entering the search text). Instead, create a favorite for the search item and go to that favorite.

Quote:
5. Is it possible to change the background color of the editor for a particular item or for all items ?
http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...?threadid=2267
http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...?threadid=2267
Attached Files
File Type: zip Reg.zip (611 Bytes, 313 views)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-02-2012, 12:05 AM
seanferns seanferns is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: 01-30-2012
Posts: 56
Thanks for the reply. A few more queries:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinook View Post
Extract and double-click DisableOpenDocumentOnDoubleClick.reg in the attachment and restart UR.
1. In several places throughout the forum I have noticed that you'll provide registry files for configuration options. Do you have complete list of such options documented somewhere ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinook View Post
But you can't map Enter to move focus between panes, as it would also take apply in the text editor and other edit controls, preventing Enter from being typed. Tab already does move from the DE to detail pane, and you can map other shortcuts to the View | Other Windows | Next Pane / Previous Pane commands.
2. I tried using Shift-Tab in the editor but that doesn't work as it just adds a tab. I would like to map Shift-Tab to go back to the previous pane but that doesn't see to be accepted by the Tools->Customize->Keyboard box.

3. Also, I would like to assign Ctrl-Shift-<letter> and Ctrl-Shift-Alt-<letter> to some commands but all seem to be assigned. I later found the file UltraRecall.dat which has mapped all the keys to some codes.
<Shortcut Id="34360" Key="Ctrl+Shift+Alt+A"/>
<Shortcut Id="34361" Key="Shift+Alt+B"/>
Is there a description of what these codes are and what function they perform ?


4. For the various themes which are supported, where is the configuration stored ? There is an Editor->Themes folder which doesn't seem to correspond these themes.

5. By default how to search for wildcards rather than typing * each time ?

6. On the Edit menu there is an "Insert" menu item which inserts the parent "default child template" type as a child. Is there a similar command for insertion as a sibling ? (in this case using the parent's "default child template" type)

7. After doing a search, by clicking on the items in the "Search Results" does not jump to the found result. It just shows the document at the beginning and you need to scroll down to find the highlighted text. Pressing F3 works but NOT if the search is a wildcard expression since the find dialog (Edit->Find In Item) doesn't support it. Is there a way to auto-jump to the first highlight when clicking on an item ?
8. And a way around the wildcard expression problem ?

9. I tried creating a new menu and dragging the "Text" template from the "Insert Sibling" toolbar onto a new Menu but it disappears after restart.

10. Minor bug - if the Tree->Sibling menu is torn off and then a new template is added, the toolbar does not update itself. Sometimes it does but the buttons and text are not in sync.

11. Minor bug - pressing Alt-Shift-Insert in the Data Explorer brings up the "Insert Sibling" menu. If moving quickly between items and pressing Alt-Shift-Insert the menu comes up as disabled, probably because the item is still loading.

12. Moving from item to item causes several buttons to move from enabled to disabled to enabled depending on what was clicked. Could you do a check if the button on the toolbar is already enabled before disabling and re-enabling it ? This is just a suggestion to minimize the flicker when moving from item to item. It can get quite annoying when using the program for a while.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-02-2012, 03:19 PM
kinook kinook is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: 03-06-2001
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanferns View Post
Thanks for the reply. A few more queries:

1. In several places throughout the forum I have noticed that you'll provide registry files for configuration options. Do you have complete list of such options documented somewhere ?
Not currently, but we'll work on it.

Quote:
2. I tried using Shift-Tab in the editor but that doesn't work as it just adds a tab. I would like to map Shift-Tab to go back to the previous pane but that doesn't see to be accepted by the Tools->Customize->Keyboard box.
We'll add to our list making Shift+Tab in the editor go back to the previous pane.

Quote:
3. Also, I would like to assign Ctrl-Shift-<letter> and Ctrl-Shift-Alt-<letter> to some commands but all seem to be assigned. I later found the file UltraRecall.dat which has mapped all the keys to some codes.
<Shortcut Id="34360" Key="Ctrl+Shift+Alt+A"/>
<Shortcut Id="34361" Key="Shift+Alt+B"/>
Is there a description of what these codes are and what function they perform ?
These are reserved for shortcuts for Favorites.

Quote:
4. For the various themes which are supported, where is the configuration stored ? There is an Editor->Themes folder which doesn't seem to correspond these themes.
Are you referring to the Paint theme at Tools | Customize | Options? Those themes are pre-defined and there is no external configuration for them. The Editor\Themes folder is for the syntax coloring editor.

Quote:
5. By default how to search for wildcards rather than typing * each time ?
Currently, the * is required.

Quote:
6. On the Edit menu there is an "Insert" menu item which inserts the parent "default child template" type as a child. Is there a similar command for insertion as a sibling ? (in this case using the parent's "default child template" type)
7. After doing a search, by clicking on the items in the "Search Results" does not jump to the found result. It just shows the document at the beginning and you need to scroll down to find the highlighted text. Pressing F3 works but NOT if the search is a wildcard expression since the find dialog (Edit->Find In Item) doesn't support it. Is there a way to auto-jump to the first highlight when clicking on an item ?
8. And a way around the wildcard expression problem ?
No.

Quote:
9. I tried creating a new menu and dragging the "Text" template from the "Insert Sibling" toolbar onto a new Menu but it disappears after restart.
That isn't supported for dynamic menu items.

Quote:
10. Minor bug - if the Tree->Sibling menu is torn off and then a new template is added, the toolbar does not update itself. Sometimes it does but the buttons and text are not in sync.
You may need to restart UR.

Quote:
11. Minor bug - pressing Alt-Shift-Insert in the Data Explorer brings up the "Insert Sibling" menu. If moving quickly between items and pressing Alt-Shift-Insert the menu comes up as disabled, probably because the item is still loading.

12. Moving from item to item causes several buttons to move from enabled to disabled to enabled depending on what was clicked. Could you do a check if the button on the toolbar is already enabled before disabling and re-enabling it ? This is just a suggestion to minimize the flicker when moving from item to item. It can get quite annoying when using the program for a while.
Run the attached reg file and restart UR to decrease the selection change delay.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Reg.zip (275 Bytes, 329 views)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:36 PM.


Copyright 1999-2019 Kinook Software, Inc.