Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2007, 10:37 AM

money attribute nothing special

I expected when I created a field w a money attribute that URp would precede the numeric value w a financial character, $ as example (controlled by Windows). But this doesn't happen. When I turned to the help file to explain what the money field was all about I found the following which seems to suggest that it's not a specialized attribute so I don't understand why it exists.

~ Start ~

Note: The String, Number and Money Attribute Types allow direct entry of the value, without a specialized value editor. For these Attribute Types, you are allowed to enter data that does not match the type (a good example is entering 56 bps for a Number Attribute Type value). For Attributes using the Number and Money Attribute Types, Ultra Recall will use the leading numeric part of the value for search and sorting purposes.

~ end ~
Old 11-16-2007, 10:55 AM

Good question. I think this is related to the SQLite database used by UR.

Jon
Old 11-16-2007, 11:05 AM

it does show the $ or whatever sign in the child pane ;-)
Old 11-16-2007, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by quant
it does show the $ or whatever sign in the child pane ;-)
Have you tried this?

I get $0.00 because the input (which URp) allowed me to enter in the field was $123.357. As soon I changed it to the correct format & removed the $ sign from the template, it showed up correctly in the child pane.

My point is that URp should only allow me to enter the correctly formatted data in specialized fields.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:55 PM
Administrator

UR does not currently validate the entry of a Money attribute value. We'll consider that for a future release.

However, a Money attribute value is displayed according to the Windows currency settings (as configured in Regional and Language Options) in the Related Items and Item Attributes panes (but not in a form, since there is no separate display vs. edit mode for a form field). For instance, a value of 123456790.1234 will be formatted as $123,456,790.12 on US English Windows by default.

But this formatting also has the side effect of displaying an invalid value as $0.00 (before formatting, it first converts the number to a floating point value, and converting a string with a $, comma, or other non-digit character will convert to 0). If the attribute value is edited in the Item Attributes pane, you'll see the value that was actually entered.

So it's best to enter a valid floating point value (digits and decimal point only, and without currency symbol or thousands separators) into a Currency field. Or if you do want to type the symbols, use a String attribute type instead.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:41 PM

ok. Tks for explanation.

But then how would one express a negative # in a numeric field? Depending on settings (I think) Windows expresses it either as -#### or (####) but if I read you right, entering something other than a whole number or decimal would be parsed to zero.

And if URp saves a string that begins w zero it will remove the leading zero. So I have to remember to force save that before leaving a form.

I'm whining but also trying to understand the different attribute types as I expand my DB. I assumed like a date attribute, every other type was straight forward but it doesn't seem so.

Are there any other rules I should be aware of?
Old 11-16-2007, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by janrif
But then how would one express a negative # in a numeric field?
Prefix the number with - (hyphen).

Quote:
And if URp saves a string that begins w zero it will remove the leading zero. So I have to remember to force save that before leaving a form.
Only if the attribute doesn't already exist for that item, and the formatted display of a Money attribute will truncate leading zeroes anyway.

Quote:
Are there any other rules I should be aware of?
Not that I can think of, but if there are, I'm sure you'll find them :^).