Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 04-07-2007, 11:58 AM

Import Web Page Problem

I still have periodic trouble capturing web pages from Firefox.

Here is what happened today.

In one of my UR databases, I could successfully capture web pages under the selected Imported heading.

The I opened a second data base. I selected Imported, went back to Firefox, and started to copy web pages in the usual way.

The little importing notice showed up over UR, so I knew the process as working up to that point.

The Imported heading flickered, but no imported item appeared under it, and the child window show no new kids.

I opened and close both that particular database a couple of times, and also closed and opened the whole application, but it made no difference.

I suspect I may have an open wrongly selected, but am at a loss. Most of the option headings are not clear to me, and when I go into the help file, often still are not clear. I realize this may be my ADHD as much as anything else.

Thank you for any help.

Daly
Old 04-07-2007, 12:41 PM

Your imported items should end up under the Imported Items Item in the Data Explorer unless you have checked the Options/Import "Insert imported items at selected item in Data Explorer pane"....in the database you last visited. (of course this does not apply to the 'drag n drop' or 'File/import' "usual ways" of importing web pages)

You could consider doing a search in each database for the item you think you imported to see where it ended up.....
Old 04-07-2007, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by $bill
Your imported items should end up under the Imported Items Item in the Data Explorer unless you have checked the Options/Import "Insert imported items at selected item in Data Explorer pane"....in the database you last visited. (of course this does not apply to the 'drag n drop' or 'File/import' "usual ways" of importing web pages)

You could consider doing a search in each database for the item you think you imported to see where it ended up.....
$Bill

Thanks, I checked to make sure it was not checked. I got the same result. The Imported item goes bold, but nothing happens to indicate an item has arrived.

Daly
Old 04-07-2007, 04:47 PM

Re: Import Web Page Problem

Quote:
Originally posted by Daly de Gagne
I still have periodic trouble capturing web pages from Firefox.

Here is what happened today.

In one of my UR databases, I could successfully capture web pages under the selected Imported heading.

The I opened a second data base. I selected Imported, went back to Firefox, and started to copy web pages in the usual way.

The little importing notice showed up over UR, so I knew the process as working up to that point.

The Imported heading flickered, but no imported item appeared under it, and the child window show no new kids.

I opened and close both that particular database a couple of times, and also closed and opened the whole application, but it made no difference.

I suspect I may have an open wrongly selected, but am at a loss. Most of the option headings are not clear to me, and when I go into the help file, often still are not clear. I realize this may be my ADHD as much as anything else.

Thank you for any help.

Daly
I think I have solved the problem -- although I do not know how it got to be a problem in the first place.

By checking all of UR databases I found that the only one that would not accept an import from Launchy, although "import" in the tree went bold, was the one I was having the trouble with.

So my hypothesis is this: somehow that one database became corrupted, because the Launchy system seemed to work in all the others.

Has anyone else had this experience? If so, what may have been the cause, and how can one prevent it from occurring again?

Thanks.

Daly
Old 04-13-2007, 11:35 AM

Ultra Recall 3.0.4, the current minor release, is now available, which addresses a few bugs which could cause importing of content into Ultra Recall to not occur as expected. It is recommended that all Ultra Recall 3.0 users upgrade to the latest version.

See http://kinook.com/Forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2522 for all the details on version 3.0.4.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:05 PM

Re: Re: Import Web Page Problem

Quote:
Originally posted by Daly de Gagne
I think I have solved the problem [snip] somehow that one database became corrupted, because the Launchy system seemed to work in all the others.[/snip]
Daly, as an aside, since URp (like ADM) does not search across DBs, I decided to dump everything into one DB this time. I did it w some trepidation, i.e. cumberson, etc. I've imported most of my data from Ecco, Zoot & ADM into URp, plus I use it every day -- all shoveled into one DB -- w/o any slow down or anything. I don't know the size of my DB but you might consider the single solution as well. It does not resolve your issue but thought you might find this of interest.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: