Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2008, 04:13 AM

Problems with Item Names ?

Good day,
I don't know if it's normal or an error but I have several instances where the Item Name (in the Child Item window) doesn't match the original file name. This applies to Word documents and PDFs created by "printing" the source file (.TIF) using one of the PDF-creation printer drivers (PDF995 to be exact). Ultra Recall appears to be going into the file to obtain the name, for example "Sign_off A.pdf" is called "O:\_1025155355.TIF" which is the original .TIF file. As another example, a file called "Business Requirments - Engen STO Automation v1.00 TPT response.doc" is called "Title Page". Excel and PowerPoint documents and a .WAV file have retained their original file names. See the attached screen shot.
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2008, 04:42 AM

in Options->Import (More) there is "Use document title if available", and you probably have this feature on.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:00 AM

Problems with Item Names ? No !

Thanks for this - that option was set. I cleared it, removed the old files, reimported them and all worked. I guess there's a larger picture but for my use this doesn't seem a useful option. Is the term "Document Title" well-defined ?
Old 07-02-2008, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Many document types do define a title property, which can be more meaningful than a filename. It seems that Word tends to assign a default title (based on the first few words in the document?) which can also get propagated to other documents when using save as.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:30 AM

When I read this I checked my current database and it also had that option selected. This is a new database and I had not changed anything there, so this must be the default configuration.

I can't speak for others, but I would think that most users would leave that as is and think it meant that the filename would be used for the name of the imported item. (I did!)

Jim