Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-12-2009, 12:49 PM

Tracking externally linked files

I always wince at asking questions; my skillz at UR are so rudimentary I'm pretty sure my questions show it.

Amongst the million OTHER things I'd like to use UR for is keeping track of a few thousand files out on disk. I don't intend to fully load it up with all my files because I don't need to keep track of ALL of them; just a few thousand INDIVIDUAL files (and some INDIVIDUAL directories).

I don't want to import them into the UR database. Why load it up and duplicate space?

Trouble is, when you link to an external file, and then move the external file, the link is lost. UR has no idea where the external file has got off to.

UR has a VERY robust URL linking system to many other kinds of URL's, not just files. I don't expect it to track every external URL of every flavor. Not reasonable, and probably not doable.

But other apps (like Tag2Find) ARE capable of tracking the changing URL's of FILES out on the file system. Move a tagged file in Explorer, OUTSIDE of Tag2Find, and Tag2Find knows right what happened to it. Obviously, Tag2Find hooks into the file system somehow.

Is this doable in any way in UR?

Hope I haven't stepped on something sensitive here.