Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Old 04-04-2010, 10:52 AM

Synchronizing UR items between databases

Imagine I need to work only with a part of my main database (due to its size/security reasons/remote pc restrictions etc).

What I would like to do is "link" several item from my main db to a "travel db". Then the usual stuff, one could change either item in the main db or the travel db. Based on the modify date, UR would allow me to sync one way or another and inform me if both sources changed from last sync.

Or, it would be nice if one could just select items in the original db and UR would create from selected items a "cloned" small "travel" db that would match itemid's and everything that's needed. When syncing, UR would also let me decide what to do with a completely new items in the "travel" db.

Maybe there is a better way to approach it, but this is my initial thought ...

I would find the above extremely useful in the office where I would like to work with part of my main db and then efforlessly sync it with the main db. I tried many things, but with mixed results. For example if one moves items from main db to travel db, then items in travel db have different itemid and when moved back to main db, the internal links break. Also if the item you want to move has more than more parent, the relationship is lost etc etc ...

Thanks
Old 04-18-2010, 02:25 AM

2nd

I 2nd this motion.

Good idea.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:43 AM

Very good Idea, I 2nd too.
I have a big database of more than 4 GB, which I than can divide in several databases (daughters) for searching and keeping with my on travelling only the part I need. Amendments can be made in the mother Database and then synchronized, and I have the whole information for a overall search if needed,
Hartmut
Old 05-17-2010, 12:46 PM

The last time I took more than a cursory look at synchronizing two UR databases, I remember it being either impossible or a kludge. If the situation has changed I apologize. I haven't had time to dig back into this topic.

I currently maintain an UR database for work and another one for home. At work the home.urd is read-only and vice versa at home. I don't think UR has a read-only command line switch, but that would be nice. Meanwhile, I set the file attribute manually.

Then I periodically overwrite the static database at either location with a fresh copy by way of a USB key or online storage. Simple, but effective. Are others doing this or something else?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: