Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 03-05-2014, 07:18 AM

Writeable and read-only documents

Having imported some documents into Ultra Recall I notice that I cannot edit them, they are text files but even thought I have set the extension (.gvz) to be writeable in Tools|Options|Documents|File extensions to open stored documents writeable:

I also noticed that some of the other files I have imported (.txt) are also not editable.

What am I missing here?

How can I edit these documents?
Old 03-05-2014, 07:21 AM
Administrator

You should be able to if configured to be writeable. Please send the info requested at http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=3038. Thanks.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:39 AM

I think I have solved it but what I did should not have solved anything.

I pressed the 'Store Contents' button and [stored] appeared next to the filename. The file was then editable. But this was no help because running a script on the file produced a results file in some ill defined temporary location.

Pressing 'Store Contents' again and saying OK to the warning about what would happen if the original was not available I found that the file was still editable. So now I have external files editable within Ultra Recall which is what I wanted. I also tried it on one of the text files which I had not been able to edit, sure enough storing then unstoring it made it editable, although it might be better to store the text files in Ultra Recall permanently, this was an oversight on my part.

I can now have Graphviz files in Ultra Recall and have the results displayed as an 'info item'.

I have arranged each graph as a .SVG file with the source code for that graph as a child item. The file extension for that source code is .GVZ which I have linked (in windows default programs) to a script which compiles the code and places the resultant graph into a .SVG file of the same name in the same location which is what the code is linked to. So 'running' the .GVZ file updates the graph to which it is linked.

With Graphviz files displayable as 'info items' I can have organisational charts, UML diagrams, flowcharts, block diagrams and all sorts of other goodies within Ultra Recall.

Thanks for your help, sorry to keep bothering you. I realise that my use of your program is probably not what was intended when the program was developed, but that just shows how versatile Ultra Recall is.

It would be nice to have support for Graphviz built in to Ultra Recall (they do provide C libraries to help developers do this) but what I have now is good enough.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:35 AM
Administrator

If a file is linked, there is another option that applies -- Tools | Options | Documents | Allow internal editing of linked documents.

Also, if you view a stored file and it's not configured to be made writeable, and then you later add that file's extension for writeable editing, you may need to restart UR to get a writreable copy of the file (and it's possible that unstoring/storing will have the same effect), but I can't explain how toggling a linked file to stored, then linked would make it editable. Oh well, at least it's working.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: