Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 08-01-2008, 09:03 AM

Copying Web Pages

I am among those who have always found UR weak in this regard.

I downloaded the latest version last night, excited by posts I had seen in the forum.

I tried to get some basic news papes into UR.

In each case, in stead of it being automatic after I clicked "copy to UR" in Explorer, I had to go to UR and do a paste. I wonder if this is because I had selected the box to choose location where a sent item goes to.

As well, I have never been able to import Gmail to Ultra Recall because UR will only reproduce the log-in page for Gmail when I do so. This in itself is a major reason why I cannot use UR as my main PIM.

Also, I am unable to get UR to show up in Firefox as an option.

I appreciate any help people can give me.

Thanks

Daly
Old 08-01-2008, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Re: Copying Web Pages

Quote:
Originally posted by Daly de Gagne
I am among those who have always found UR weak in this regard.

I downloaded the latest version last night, excited by posts I had seen in the forum.

I tried to get some basic news papes into UR.

In each case, in stead of it being automatic after I clicked "copy to UR" in Explorer, I had to go to UR and do a paste. I wonder if this is because I had selected the box to choose location where a sent item goes to.
Did 'Copy to UR' in IE do nothing, result in an error, not import all formatting, or something else? Please send:
1) The info from Help | About | Install Info
2) The version of IE
3) The URLs of the problem pages

Quote:
As well, I have never been able to import Gmail to Ultra Recall because UR will only reproduce the log-in page for Gmail when I do so. This in itself is a major reason why I cannot use UR as my main PIM.
Gmail does seem really strange stuff. First, since the pages are behind a login, you will need to select part/all of the page before importing. But in my tests w/ IE7, when copying part or all of a Gmail message page, IE doesn't provide HTML format at all. And Google Notebook wasn't able to capture the message either.

With Firefox 3, selecting part/all of a message and copying does provide HTML format, and I was able to copy/paste that into UR to capture.

Quote:
Also, I am unable to get UR to show up in Firefox as an option.
Try installing the extension manually by navigating to http://www.kinook.com/UltraRecall/extensions.html within Firefox and clicking on 'Install Firefox extension'.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:23 PM

ScrapBook, and you have no problem with Gmail, pages where you are logged or pages that are encrypted ...

it's only one step more and you get into UR everything
Old 08-01-2008, 04:30 PM

Re: Re: Copying Web Pages

Quote:
Originally posted by kinook
Did 'Copy to UR' in IE do nothing, result in an error, not import all formatting, or something else? Please send:
1) The info from Help | About | Install Info
2) The version of IE
3) The URLs of the problem pages

Gmail does seem really strange stuff. First, since the pages are behind a login, you will need to select part/all of the page before importing. But in my tests w/ IE7, when copying part or all of a Gmail message page, IE doesn't provide HTML format at all. And Google Notebook wasn't able to capture the message either.

With Firefox 3, selecting part/all of a message and copying does provide HTML format, and I was able to copy/paste that into UR to capture.

Try installing the extension manually by navigating to http://www.kinook.com/UltraRecall/extensions.html within Firefox and clicking on 'Install Firefox extension'.
Thanks for the reply.

Re Gmail: it does strange stuff in UR, not in Evernote or Surfulater. I did select part of the page before importing. And for that I was using the latest version of FF.

I am using Explorer 7.

Since the exact urls weren't captured by UR, I can't send them to you. They were from various MSN pages,

I noticed toay for the first time that whenever I tried to copy to UR, it was going by way of the clipboard...so I didn't find the imported item under the impored icon in the tree. I had to manually paste it in.

One item was a car review from MSN, which had several pictures. UR got the text, but not the pix.

I tried installing the extensions for both Firefox and TB. Both extensions query what file to open them with, and there is a choice provided of FF and TB. I selected FF for the FF extension, and TB opened up.

So I went back to the web pages, and saw where it mentioned simply to use the UR installer. I clicked on the link, and found I was taken to the page for downloading the whole package, but there was nothing there about an installer for extensions. So I assume the installer refers to the UR installer. I am sure I selected last extensions.

I will try again.

But I need to say this is an awful lot of work for what should be fairly simply now. Surfulater and Evernote make it much easier, and MyInfo falls somewhere in the middle. But UR is a premier product, and should have this stuff down cold.

Daly
Old 08-01-2008, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by quant
ScrapBook, and you have no problem with Gmail, pages where you are logged or pages that are encrypted ...

it's only one step more and you get into UR everything
Quant, thanks, I will try that.

However, it is one step more than I need to take with either Evernote or Surfulater, and for a premier product like UR, it is a step that ought to be unnecessary.

BTW, in my test this morning with the car page, MI also made me do a copy/paste routine, but when I did the paste, at least I got the car pix.

Daly
Old 08-01-2008, 05:04 PM

One answer but problems persist

1. I think I found out why the clipboard was getting involved; last night I had also installed a copy of Clipmate. I shut Clipmate down, and UR went back to its usual pattern of importing. So we know part of the problem.

2. However...UR imported a horizontal selection of graphics from Environment Canada showing the weather for today, an what is expected tomorrow. However, UR could not render it with anything close to accuracy, and it ran like a column down the left hand of UR window. Evernote had no problem.

3. I selected some text from this url: http://news.cnet.com/greentech/
UR took about 32 seconds to import it. Evernote took about three seconds. Both programs did a good job of rendering the page. 32 seconds is unacceptable. I have had such delays before from UR, and the frustrating thing is that one never knows what one will get when it finally is imported.

Both 2 and 3 were from FF.

I do a lot of research on the web. The delays and not being sure makes UR unacceptable.

I am not trying to be negative when I emphasize there are programs that do it far faster, and with greater accuracy. I appreciate it when you say there are reasons why FF does what it does, but it is little comfort to the consumer, the end user. Here I am with all this metadata power, and search capabilities that one day I might understand properly if they were put into language a guy like me could understand, but I can't use the product because it doesn't do the web nearly as well as some of its competitors.

With all its issues, I truly long for the days of ADM, and there's a rumour that Arne and Eric will resurface when they finish a stint of slave labour at the Bejing Olympics.

So the holy grail of a single program solution again blows up. I use EN for web work, and for writing and medium weight metadata, I will use MyInfo.

Please forgive my negative tone. I admire UR and what you folks have done. Please take this as its meant -- helpful feedback. And check into Clipmate and see how it may interfere with UR (if I find more about that I'll let you know.).

Daly
Old 08-05-2008, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Testing with Windows XP SP3, Firefox 3.0.1, Evernote 2.2.1.386, Surfulater 2.52 Build 10.0, and Ultra Recall 3.5a.

1) Gmail message after selecting message body

Ultra Recall: Firefox extension doesn't import selection properly, which we will investigate. Copy/paste into UR does work.
Surfulater and Evernote did import selection via Firefox extension.

2) Environment Canada, after selecting current conditions and forecast
http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/..._metric_e.html

UR, Evernote, and Surfulater: page imported, but style information not captured. We'll add to our list to enable UR to capture this page's styles and layout.

3) MSN car review
I couldn't reproduce a problem with capture of images -- the URL of the problem page would be helpful.

Testing with (after selecting review title, image and article text)
http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/re...ord&icid=RSS_1

I got similar results to the Environment Canada page -- UR, Evernote, and Surfulater all captured the contents, but none captured the page's style info. This page defines styles similar to EC, so fixing one should apply to both.

4) CNET GreenTech
http://news.cnet.com/greentech/

I wasn't able to reproduce slow import into UR -- importing various selections from Firefox consistently took about 1 second. Perhaps the server was temporarily unresponsive when retrieving some of the page content.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:28 PM
Administrator

The main download has been updated with a fix for #2 and #3 (UltraRecall.exe 3.5.1.4 in Help | About | Install Info after installing).
Old 08-06-2008, 08:59 PM

I'm still in evaluation mode, but based on the previous message, I re-downloaded the evaluation software - pro version - from http://www.kinook.com/UltraRecall/download.html and reinstalled. Yet my Help > About still says 3.5a instead of 3.5.1.4 as the previous message indicated.

Is this because I'm still in evaluation mode?

Thx!
--
dg
Old 08-06-2008, 10:00 PM
Administrator

The product version is still 3.5a (Help | About). But the EXE version will show 3.5.1.4 in Help | About | Install Info. We'll be rolling up additional fixes into 3.5b; this is just an interim patch.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:44 PM

Got it...thanks!
--
dg
Old 08-11-2008, 12:25 PM

With regard to the issue of capturing Gmail raised in some of the earlier posts in this thread, you can save HTML formatting when copying from IE (or from the internal UR browser) if you display the Gmail in Basic HTML view.

This has another advantage over capturing Gmail in FF: the correct URL is recorded in UR, which is not the case when using FF.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: