Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 03-11-2021, 10:46 AM

Issues with the highlight color

There are various issues with the use of the Highlight Color (I refer to rich text items):

I do not know if this is a bug or intended but anyway it does not look nice:

Usually (= in MS Word, MyInfo etc.) the highlighted stripe looks like in picture Nr. 1.

In Ultra Recall it is too high as you can see in picture Nr. 2: there is too much of the highlighted stripe under the line.

Not very important but nevertheless strange:

Let's assume I want to change the highlight color e.g. from the light yellow to green (or any other one):

So I select the highlighted area and in the editor I choose the highlight color green.
But this does not lead to the desired change: The light yellow has gone but now there is no highlight color at all. I have to click the desired color (e.g. green) a second time so that it is visible on the text line.

Let's assume I have a line beginning with some underlined letter or number, like in picture Nr. 3 (where "3." is underlined).

In the next step I want to give this line a highlight color (e.g. the light yellow).
So what happens after choosing it? The highlight color is here - but at the same time the underlinining has been extended automatically to the whole line (see picture Nr. 4). Of course this is not desired.

[I continue in a new post as the maximum number of pictures in a post is 5 and I need to attach two more.]
Attached Images

Last edited by Peter-123; 03-11-2021 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-11-2021, 11:00 AM

This is for my needs the most unpleasant issue in connection with the highlight color:

Opening and editing a rich text item externally (with MS Word in my case) changes the highlight colors in an extremely ugly way:

My preferred colors are primarily light yellow and light green (see picture Nr. 5).

Already after opening the file in MS Word (via "Item" --> "Open Document") the colors look like in picture Nr. 6: by far too intensive and gaudy. (Only the height of the stripe would be o.k. now.)

And the additional problem:
For some unknown reason it is not possible to change these colors externally (in MS Word)! So I have to make in MS Word the modifications for which I opened the file externally (e.g. certain edits in a table), then I have to go back to Ultra Recall (= "Resume internal editing") and only there I can change back to my desired highlight colors by choosing them in Ultra Recall's editor - with all the shortcomings in the procedure as described in the items 2. and 3. in my first post.
Attached Images

Last edited by Peter-123; 03-11-2021 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-12-2021, 04:43 PM
Administrator

2 and 3 are fixed in the latest download (6.1.0.10).

Regarding 1 and 4, can you send a .urd file with a text item formatted and highlighted as shown in Nr. 5? Thanks.
Old 03-12-2021, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinook View Post
2 and 3 are fixed in the latest download (6.1.0.10).
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinook View Post
Regarding 1 and 4, can you send a .urd file with a text item formatted and highlighted as shown in Nr. 5? Thanks.
It's on the way per e-mail.
Old 03-13-2021, 05:40 PM
Administrator

#1 must be a difference in how the MS rich edit control and Word render highlighting. The paragraph is 1.5 line spacing, and the highlight extends to the full line. WordPad, which also uses the rich edit control, looks the same as UR. I don't know of a way to alter that.

For #2, it seems that Word doesn't have the lighter hued color options for highlighting and is converting to the nearest color (testing with Word 2003 and 2019). LibreOffice does display the highlight correctly.
Old 03-13-2021, 06:02 PM

O.k. Thanks for investigating. No good news.

It's all very strange. Opening the .rtf file in WordPad I see indeed the problem #1 too. But the colors are displayed correctly. Opening the .rtf file in MS Word (2002) both colors and height of the highlighted stripe are o.k.

The only good thing is that the bigger problem (the ugly colors after an external editing) can be solved by correcting the highlight color after resuming the internal editing within UR. A little bit cumbersome, but at least it leads to the desired result.
Old 03-13-2021, 07:10 PM
Administrator

You could avoid that by editing externally in WordPad or LibreOffice. Either change the default program for RTF or use Item | Show Explorer Menu -> Open With.
Old 03-13-2021, 07:34 PM

Yes, the problem with the color change could be avoided. But I don't think that WordPad could be for me an alternative to MS Word for external editing as WordPad's formatting options are limited.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: