Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 10-27-2007, 03:31 AM

Importing Web Pages

Greetings. I did a quick search on this problem in "Importing" but I found no answer, so I'm asking the forum for help.

Whenever I import an IE web page:

file / import / webpage / webpage to import (the URL) and "store web page contents in Ultra Recall" / finish

the webpage is stored successful but the webpage doesn't open; instead I see in the pane --

Click here to open stored document

Click here to open linked document

If I click on the "stored document" link the webpage dutifully appears. It is stored on my C drive in at

local settings / UltraRecall / temp / 2433 / and then the URL.

My questions are:

1) how can I designate where these files are stored (I want to keep them in one location for easy backup, and being more or less hidden away in the folders mentioned above makes these files hard to keep track of); and

2) why doesn't the webpage open up automatically without first having to click on the "click here to open stored document" link? I have all the appropriate extensions already included in the option boxes.

Regards
Old 10-27-2007, 08:46 AM

Check the settings at Tools | Options | Browser - File extensions to display in internal browser view

Here are my values as an example:

.html;.htm;.mht;.ico;.doc;.pdf

I'm not sure what the default values were. Including the appropiate extension should eliminate this problem.

Regarding the second part of your question: the webpage is Stored within UR, when you click to open - UR sends a copy out to the temp location for the external program (broswer) to load and render.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:21 AM

Well...

Greetings!

No, the various file extensions listed seem to be OK -- as indicated in Options (I even checked for typos), so that's not the problem. Frankly, it would be nice if the user did not have to fiddle with these file extension matters. UR should include instead a built-in (and updatable) "universal file extension" opener, so to speak. I hope it doesn't sound like I'm whining here (UR is a great program, indeed), but forcing endusers to type in (or frequently check) these file extentions is an annoying task.

Also, I am well aware that the files are stored somewhere on the hard disk, but that is not the issue, which is that UR "buries" these stored files (e.g., webpages) in places relatively hard to negotiate toward, and there should be an option for users to decide where these files are stored because after all they have to be backed up eventually (apparently, if I'm not mistaken, they are also not stored within the .urd itself). And if they are not stored internally (which is what the links say they have been!) then this is a major problem, is it not?

Regards
Old 10-27-2007, 11:24 AM

Re: Well...

Quote:
Originally posted by tfjern
forcing endusers to type in (or frequently check) these file extentions is an annoying task.
If you like the defaults provided, you are not forced to type them in....the "Option" are appropriately named. There is a lot of customization available in UR which makes me very happy but does require that I learn about what I am doing.

Quote:

Also, I am well aware that the files are stored somewhere on the hard disk, but that is not the issue, which is that UR "buries" these stored files
Regards
It would seem that you are not so well aware and are mistaken....ashwken answer was correct. The documents are stored compressed within a single file>>the .urd file listed in the frame of the UR window. The "local settings / UltraRecall / temp / 2433 / and then the URL." that you found is a temporary file that UR creates when you open a stored file in an external program....it will vanish when UR is closed. See help using UR/Managing Documents and files/Store contents.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:06 PM

Thanks $Bill

Yes, you're right. The files are delected from the temp folder upon exiting UR. I should be more patient before I post such questions.

But I still can't get the stored webpages to open without having first to click to open the stored files, but I'll keep fiddling with the extensions to find out what is the problem.

Regards
Old 10-27-2007, 01:49 PM

Re: Thanks $Bill

Quote:
But I still can't get the stored webpages to open without having first to click to open the stored files, but I'll keep fiddling with the extensions to find out what is the problem.
Wondering if this message might have some bearing (you mentioned using IE as your browser):

http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...?threadid=1042

I realize that this is refering to MS Office Docs, but the second to last paragraph may have bearing.

Just taking a stab, I'm at a lose.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:13 AM
Administrator

Regarding internal display of web page items:

1) Make sure that 'Tools | Options | Browser | Launch shortcuts in external browser window by default' is unchecked.

2) If you ever enabled Mozilla as the internal browser, turn it off (see http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...?threadid=1008).

If neither of those help, send the details requested at http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...threadid=3038. Thanks.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: