Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Old 09-07-2005, 05:31 PM

Easy Drag & Drop

It would be good if there was an easy way to drag/drop items into UR's Imported Items object, without having to navigate through the entire tree to find it.

A lot of times, I want to quickly drag items into UR and worry about filing them later. This is the whole point of Imported Items, and it works fine when you're using the "Import" menu item, but it doesn't do you any good with drag & drop operations.

Other PIM applications, such as Info Select and Omea Pro have this type of functionality. Omea displays a target on the screen, which is always on top of all other objects. Then you can drag anything to that target and it will automatically be imported into Omea. InfoSelect has a similar function. It displays a target in the system tray and you can drag objects to that target to import them into InfoSelect.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:13 AM

Dropping directly on a tray icon is not an option (that I am aware of), and we have resisted doing something as non-standard as an always-on-top window as a drop target (we are aware that some other applications do provide some form of this capability).

Personally I find Ctrl+C (to copy the relevant "stuff" to the clipboard, then the global Win+V UR shortcut (this is configurable in Ultra Recall @ Tools | Options | Import <tab>) to paste into Ultra Recall works better than a drop target anyway... Obviously each person has their own personal preference.

Actually, I just reviewed Info Select's Transporter feature, and I personally believe the Ctrl+C, Win+V sequence described above is more convenient than what is provided by Info Select (which isn't drag & drop either).
Old 09-20-2005, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Personally I find Ctrl+C (to copy the relevant "stuff" to the clipboard, then the global Win+V UR shortcut (this is configurable in Ultra Recall @ Tools | Options | Import <tab>) to paste into Ultra Recall works better than a drop target anyway... Obviously each person has their own personal preference.
How about creating a new global shortcut such as Win+S that would save the active web page in IE to UR. This would be the equivalent of right-clicking on the page and selecting the "Send to Ultra Recall" option.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:41 PM

I agree that global shortcuts are important. Until there is more of this functionality in UR, one way to accomplish this is to use a macro program. I use this free one:

http://members.ij.net/anthonymathews/MacroMaker.htm

I used it to capture a web page, create a quick note, go to a search that shows a task list, etc. You can run a macro with a keystroke or from an icon. You have to add delay between keystrokes sometimes to make it work, but it is doable.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:27 PM

Yeah, I've played around with a few different macro programs, but I find that it usually ends up being more trouble than it's worth. A lot of times Windows pop up at the wrong time, or don't close correctly, etc... Plus you have another application running in your system tray, using system resources. And I guess it just plain bugs me to have to use such a kludgy workaround to accomplish a simple task.

Speaking of macros though, it would be nice if UR itself had macro capabilities built-in.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: