Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 08-31-2008, 08:58 AM

Forms

I was quite excited about the forms at the beginning (like every new feature ;-) ), but I see myself using more and more the Attributes pane again.

This is because of that unintuitive double scrollbar, + it still doesn't work properly, see the screenshot.

I would much more prefer if the form isn't part of the item, i.e. there would be only one scrollbar. This would limit the length of the item so there could be something that would minimize the form (a small plus/minus in the upper left corner of the form) or even auto-hide like other panes.

For the time being, I'm getting rid of the forms

What is your experience with them?
Attached Images

Old 08-31-2008, 10:35 AM

I would prefer 1 scroll bar for the combined 'form viewer+detail viewer'.

I agree with your observation that it is unintuitive in use. At my primary workspace, I have a second monitor dedicated to UR-so it doesn't annoy me frequently. However when I travel and use a 5 inch screen-the double scroll bar is frustrating.

For rich text, I have considered using Item Notes instead of the Item Details because of the auto-hide capability.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:05 AM

Items Details Pane Scroll-bar

Good luck avoiding forms quant, you'll be back.

The scroll-bars can be a little annoying. It took a little while, but now i'm quite used to them. However I agree, the outer scroll-bar, (available when you create a form), could be handled differently.

It looks like Kinook have programmed this outer scroll-bar to appear whenever the vertical size of the Item Details Pane drops below around 470 pixels. At this point, they preserve the height of the RTF or "content viewer" region. I feel that we should change the order in which the scroll-bars appear. Basically, a scroll-bar for the viewer region should appear before the outer scroll-bar.

The viewer region should decrease in height as the Item Details Pane reduces in height. A vertical scroll-bar for the viewer region would automatically appear once full contents of the viewer are no longer visible.

Either:
(a) the viewer region is allowed to be squashed down until it is disappears, or
(b) the viewer region squashed down to say a minimum height of 75 pixels.
With point (b), one would be able to see a few lines of standard sized text, and thus an indication as to whether there is any content, and perhaps the nature of the content.

With scenario (a), the outer scroll-bar would only appear when the form is not completely visible. With scenario (b), the outer scroll-bar would only appear once the form and squashed down viewer region are not completely visible.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:30 AM

Re: Items Details Pane Scroll-bar

Quote:
Originally posted by zargron
Good luck avoiding forms quant, you'll be back.

The scroll-bars can be a little annoying.
Not only that, the outer scroll-bar doesn't make sense. There is often scroll-bar even though there is no text hidden, where's the logic? I've never seen application that does that. It's as if your car's windshield wiper would start even though there is no rain. Grrrrrrrrr
Old 09-26-2008, 05:05 AM

Scrolly Wobbles

Yep - like your windshield wiper analogy. Sometimes it looks like Kinook have written their own components...

I just had the outer scroll-bar not let me scroll to the bottom of the Item Details Pane, which meant that i couldn't click on the lower arrow of the inner scroll-bar to move down through the content viewer region. Not that big a deal. I just clicked on another item then went back to the one in question and the metrics had been all sorted out.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:07 AM

Re: Scrolly Wobbles

Quote:
Originally posted by zargron
I just clicked on another item then went back to the one in question and the metrics had been all sorted out.
Same as doing an F5 to Refresh, going off the Item and coming back to it forced the Refresh.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: