Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 11-04-2007, 12:51 PM

picture attributes?

evaluating ... Is there a way to have picture as the attribute of an info item? e.g. a picture of the book cover for the books database?
Old 11-04-2007, 01:13 PM

no ... maybe you could use item notes to place pictures there. The problem is that if you choose item notes as the attribute to display in the child pane, it won't show the picture, so you would be able to see only one book cover at time (in the item notes pane).
Old 11-05-2007, 12:14 AM

Re: picture attributes?

Quote:
Originally posted by redflux
evaluating ... Is there a way to have picture as the attribute of an info item? e.g. a picture of the book cover for the books database?
http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...&threadid=2857

http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...&threadid=2616

http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...&threadid=2873

These threads touch on aspects of your question.

The Sample Database - Book uses (Book Title) Items that are of the Item Type Text (rtf Detail Pane) with a Form assigned.

What you could do is create a new Template - right-click on the Templates folder, Insert Child, chose Document. Expose the Item Attribute Pane (Ctrl-4). Either create your own Form, or if your working in the Book sample, assign the Book Form to the new Document Template you just created.

Create a new Folder off the Root. Assign this new Document Template to be the Default Child Template of this new Folder.

Now, whenever you send something to this new folder (Link, Copy/Store, Import files) a new Item will be created with the Form at the top and the imported data (picture, webpage...) in the Detail area below.

'Course, you can't "show" more than one picture per UR Item (of the Document Type) - the UR Item represents a unique data file. Any additional images would probably need to be brought in as child items of the "Book".

You may also want to give consideration to your data folder structure, espeicially if you are Linking external files. If the location of the Linked files is below the UR database location, then Links to this data will be Relative. Links outside the UR database path are Absolute (full drive path). A Realtive path will make your database and Linked data more protable - Links won't break.

It should be noted that the Sample Databases are set to Read Only, and you may want to experiment with a copy.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:59 AM

Re: Re: picture attributes?

Quote:
Originally posted by ashwken
'Course, you can't "show" more than one picture per UR Item (of the Document Type) - the UR Item represents a unique data file. Any additional images would probably need to be brought in as child items of the "Book".
I think the problem is not to show more than one picture per item, but at least one picture in the child items pane.

There were several users that requested some kind of thumbnails view in the child pane. So that as you suggest the items of document type (say jpg pictures in this case), could be viewed in the child pane as thumbnails allowing easy "visual" navigation ...
Old 11-05-2007, 10:32 AM

Ashwken, Thanks your solution works .. and gives me something to work from.
Quant, thank you for your responses too .. only one picture per book is what i was after, if I needed more I am assuming they could be child items of the book?
Old 11-05-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by redflux
only one picture per book is what i was after, if I needed more I am assuming they could be child items of the book?
Yes, if you want to have the child item use the same new Document Template created above you could assign that template to be the Default Child Template of itself, or you could leave the Default Child Template value as it is - Document (no Form assigned).

It just depends on whether or not you want a Form at the top of the Detail Pane for the Item.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: