Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-16-2007, 08:34 AM

Question Impressed. A few questions

I'm another user very impressed with the everything-in-one application UR. Before I purchase the Pro version, I do have a few questions:

1) Is the file format locked/proprietary? I realize you'd be interested in protecting your product but as a developer I am often in Linux and I would want to be able to access what's in UR even if I have to write a connector and crude UI myself (in Java for multi platform support).

2) How about integrating mail as a first-class item without the need to manually import these (tedious). A mail inbox has a tendency these days to contain... well everything and it seems like UR could seriously kick @ss if the GTD mindset is supported easier, much like Google is doing with gmail. Is this on the table?

3) Do you have a road map, so curious users can see what's coming to this already excellent application?

Thanks,
Casper
Old 04-16-2007, 03:35 PM

Yes the file format is proprietary. Several export methods are available which provide essentially full access to your data outside of Ultra Recall (specifically csv and xml - which can also be transformed into html).
http://www.kinook.com/blog/?p=18

We do not have plans to implement mail client functionality within Ultra Recall.

Here is a link to our "roadmap" for Ultra Recall: http://kinook.com/Forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=993. One note: it has not been updated since the recent release of the 3.0 major version release...
Old 04-16-2007, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kevina
which can also be transformed into html).
sorry to say that, but this is not very user friendly, just to let you know ... take your cue from here http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...&threadid=2054

And if fact, even this can be hardly called html transfom!
Kinook please correct me if I am wrong, but what you actually get is only one file in html format with links to rft documents of your notes ...

Last edited by quant; 04-16-2007 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:06 PM

Unhappy Not for me

Frankly I am a bit surprised by the answers, but now I know Ultra Recall is not for me. I can't commit to that massively a lock-in - in spite of the nice UI.

Regards,
Casper
Old 04-17-2007, 02:03 AM

Re: Not for me

Quote:
Originally posted by casperbang
Frankly I am a bit surprised by the answers, but now I know Ultra Recall is not for me. I can't commit to that massively a lock-in - in spite of the nice UI.
uuuh...uuuhh...
Very sad!
Wish you all the best in finding a better tool!

Dominik
Old 04-17-2007, 06:47 AM

Quote:
did you try vmware, wine or sth similar under Linux?
Old 04-17-2007, 08:04 AM

Quote:
[snip] now I know Ultra Recall is not for me. I can't commit to that massively a lock-in - in spite of the nice UI.
I don't know about Linux but if you are interested in an all-in-one, I personally don't think you are going to find a better 'tool' today. Maybe tomorrow :-). Also you might keep track of Milenix MyInfo v4 as it aims to be another all-in-one. Good luck.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: