Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Visual Build Professional > [VBP] Third Party Tools

Old 02-13-2004, 06:35 AM

SourceSafe Label problem

I'm trying apply a label such as "Build 27" at project level in VSS.

$/MyProject/1.0
/Module1
/Module2

If I do this manually in VSS I just go to root project ("$/MyProject/1.0"), right click and hit Label. The label is instantly applied to all subfolders and files.

Labelling a project VisualBuild seem different. Its seems that a label is first applied to root project, and then the system tries to recursively label all subprojects and their files with the same label. This causes VSS to keep prompting if we want to override/delete the previous label:

The label "Build 27" is used by a previous version of $/MyProject/1.0
Remove the old label?(Y/N)Y

Its taking ages (several minutes) to label a project with many subprojects/files in this way

Any idea where I'm going wrong.

BTW - "Perform operation recursively operation" is NOT checked.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:36 PM
Administrator

The SourceSafe action ultimately invokes the VSS command-line tool (ss.exe) to perform the actual operation. You can check the 'show command-line' checkbox on the last tab and build to see the command-line it generates.

The recursive (-R) switch has no effect for a VSS Label operation. A project label in VSS is simply a file with a timestamp, so I'm not sure why VSS would be prompting about replacing labels, unless it is doing some check and those sub-projects have been previously labeled with that label. The info from the command-line being used should be enough to submit a support question to MS about the behavior you're experiecing if it is unexpected.
Old 02-23-2004, 02:43 AM

Doh!

I'd managed to check the "Repeat step while condition is true" option on the Labelling action. Hence it was re-labelling the entire tree inifinately :-)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: