Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 12-31-2005, 11:23 PM

1.4 Installation Problem

When I try to install 1.4 the installation process stalls on updating registry. At this point the installation program fails to respond, and even task manager is not able to clear it. I then have to turn off the computer. I have tried to install twice, and each time the same thing happens.

Unfortunately, I now no longer have access to Ultra Recall on my computer.

Please advise.

Thank you.

Happy new year.

Daly
Old 01-01-2006, 05:54 AM

Question

I experienced the same problem when upgrading from 1.4beta to 1.4. The hourglass continues until zapping the UR processes in Task Manager.

However, on restarting the program UR loaded fine. However. I periodically experience the same inability to load and an interminable hourglass. Killing processes in task manager allows me to load UR again.

Note, I had no problems with 1.4beta

Anybody else had a problem?

Simon G
Old 01-01-2006, 07:46 AM

Just installed additional UK language dictionary.
When I opened up UR the same hanging occurred.
Cleared by killing UR process in task manager.

UR opened afterwards.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:13 AM

You are fortunate you can kill UR in the task manager. For me the task manager is not working in this situation, so I have to physically turn off the computer.

It appears that something has changned between the beta and the final version, and that that change may be causing a conflict.

Daly
Old 01-02-2006, 05:47 AM

I had a problem with UR14 hanging when accessing a web site. After a long while the application managed to come back to life and I haven't had any problem since.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:39 AM

It sounds like two different problems are being described here.

The first problem, where the Ultra Recall 1.4 setup is hanging, could be a corrupt install file (we use the same installation technology for all our products and have never had this error reported before). I would recommend clearing your browser cache, then re-downloading the v 1.4 installation file, uninstalling, and re-installing.

The second problem mentioned here is not very clear: does "intermittent problems loading" mean that Ultra Recall is not starting normally after being installed? Please provide more detail on the intermittent problems being encountered.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:04 AM

FYI, I am running Win2K, high spec (e.g. lots of RAM, AMD 64 processor), Agnitum's Outpost 3.x firewall.

I think I have identified the problem:

I un-installed UR, left the firewall running and re-installed UR. Problem loading UR (the screen only half shows and the hourglass continues). Same issue when loading the UK dictionary.

I un-installed UR, shut down the firewall and re-installed. No problems so far.
The answer for me seems to be to disable the firewall before installing UR and re-activating after.

This may occur for others using the same firewall as I do on my PC. I will keep you informed of any recurrance.

Simon G
Old 01-02-2006, 04:17 PM
Administrator

I was unable to reproduce the problem when running Agnitum Outpost firewall. I installed (accepting all defaults) Output Firewall Pro 3.0.557.5918 (437) on Windows 2000 SP4 , and was able to install and run UR without any problems.

Are you using any special settings in Outpost? Is the screen that isn't displayed completely the install program's window or the Ultra Recall window?
Old 01-03-2006, 10:10 AM

I have installed a clean (reformatted) drive into my PC with the same applications (using WIN2K + MS Office, MS Outlook, IE and Firefox browsers and Agnitum Outpost firewall).

I downloaded UR 1.4 again. The UR install went fine and UR works on load.

But it looks very much as though the cause for UR hanging on load is of my own doing (i.e. something wrong with the previous configuration of my PC). My appologies to all concerned, especially the team at Kinook.

Simon G

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: