Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-09-2007, 10:52 PM

minor quibble - 1000 item limitation

Congratulations to Kinook on Version 3 - a great improvement on an already great product.

I have had a minor annoyance though.

I found to my frustration today (a Saturday) that I cannot work on a URD file that I have been maintaining for a large legal case I am involved in. It is over 1gig in size and has about 6000 items, meaning that the evaluation version will not let me add to or edit it.

I thought I could easily solve the problem by getting online and buying the upgrade; however, when I did so I discovered that I will not receive the licence key until the next business day - presumably Monday.

I imagine that this issue may catch other long time users off guard.

Is the 1000 item limitation in the evaluation version necessary?
Old 03-10-2007, 12:47 AM

Well I had the same problem, but with good luck I received my new key the same day.
Kinook should think about thisat an greater upate.
Hartmut
Old 03-10-2007, 04:05 AM

Re: minor quibble - 1000 item limitation

Quote:
Originally posted by Rbrux
Is the 1000 item limitation in the evaluation version necessary?
It is vital, cause if you are not a computer novice, the time restriction is not hard to break.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:00 PM

I agree! I had been using the beta of v3 and when the release version came out I installed it only to find that I could do very little with my 800Mb UR file because of the 1000 items limitation. I also thought I could immediately solve the problem by purchasing but was then perturbed to receive a message saying I'd get the key within a business day. Luckily I got it within a few minutes. Phew!

I do think Kinook needs to look at this; I'd have been very disgruntled with them if I'd been unable to use UR for a whole day.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:54 PM

Re: minor quibble - 1000 item limitation

Quote:
Originally posted by Rbrux
I imagine that this issue may catch other long time users off guard.
[/B]
I dont understand how it could affect long time users? If they have a valid license for previous version, they'd have no limitation in that version.

Quote:
Originally posted by dasymington
I do think Kinook needs to look at this; I'd have been very disgruntled with them if I'd been unable to use UR for a whole day.
[/B]
If you were able to edit more that 1000 items database, I presume you have a valid license for that version.

???
Old 03-10-2007, 02:06 PM

Re: Re: minor quibble - 1000 item limitation

Quote:
Originally posted by quant
I dont understand how it could affect long time users? If they have a valid license for previous version, they'd have no limitation in that version.

If you were able to edit more that 1000 items database, I presume you have a valid license for that version.

???
I had a valid licence for version 2, but I'd been using the version 3 beta for several months, so going back to the previous version wasn't an option.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:24 PM

Re: Re: Re: minor quibble - 1000 item limitation

Quote:
I had a valid licence for version 2, but I'd been using the version 3 beta for several months, so going back to the previous version wasn't an option.
ok, so did you leave your beta version to run until the last day and only then decided to buy it? Btw the V3 beta can be used until mid of April.

???
Old 03-10-2007, 05:38 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: minor quibble - 1000 item limitation

Quote:
ok, so did you leave your beta version to run until the last day and only then decided to buy it? Btw the V3 beta can be used until mid of April.

???
NO, I WAS HAPPY TO BUY THE UPGRADE AS SOON AS IT BECAME AVAILABLE in order to support the developer.

quant, please read my post. This thread was originally started because of the restriction on the evaluation version. Then you said

Quote:
I dont understand how it could affect long time users?
I was saying how it had affected me as a long time user. I said, "I had been using the beta of v3 and when the release version came out I installed it ..." and after that I couldn't use UR, with all my data accumulated over several years, in the same way as I had been able to before.

I think Kinook should look at this, and I don't understand your use of triple question marks.

Last edited by dasymington; 03-10-2007 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:49 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: minor quibble - 1000 item limitation

Quote:
quant, please read my post. This thread was originally started because of the restriction on the evaluation version. Then you said

I was saying how it had affected me as a long time user. I said, "I had been using the beta of v3 and when the release version came out I installed it ..." and after that I couldn't use it in the same way as I had been able to before.

I think Kinook should look at this, and I don't understand your use of triple question marks.
??? stands for, "sorry, but I dont get it"

as a long time user you know that evaluation version has a limitation of 1000 items, so I dont understand why would you install the v3 before obtaining the licence knowing you wont be able to edit your database. As a result, you suggest kinook to remove the only limilation of evaluation version to prevent its misuse, rather than obtaining the licence before installing the software.

???
Old 03-10-2007, 06:01 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: minor quibble - 1000 item limitation

Quote:
as a long time user you know that evaluation version has a limitation of 1000 items
I don't! As I am a long time user it's a long time since I had anything to do with an evaluation version of UR. I have no wish to circumvent the copy protection of Kinook's or anyone else's software.

The problem would be overcome if Kinook advised beta users that they would need to make sure they had a valid license for the next upgrade before applying the released version - and ideally the advice should be on the download page. It's that simple! No one is trying to get past the copy protection. Everyone in this thread was quite happy to pay for the upgrade as soon as it was released; they just don't want to be without the use of their UR database. Without such advice, it seems that people with little knowledge of copy protection, like me, will fall foul of the problem reported here.

I think it's really a customer service issue and, as such, something that Kinook is more competent to comment on.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:22 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: minor quibble - 1000 item limitation

Quote:
I don't! As I am a long time user it's a long time since I had anything to do with an evaluation version of UR. I have no wish to circumvent the copy protection of Kinook's or anyone else's software.
hmmm, I see what you mean, but the point I was trying to make was that there has to be some limitation and they in fact shouldn't be public in order for them to be more effective (it's the same like for example the Amazon's search inside feature). So no matter what the limitation of the evaluation version is, the message is that one shouldn't update their version before obtaining the license to use that version, it's that simple (if they want to prevent surprises like you had). I think it's quite obvious. Maybe, that's where we disagree. Would you install your Windows and expect it to work without having valid license for it?
Old 03-11-2007, 01:22 AM

well I am a long time user of UR 2.0 and without any 3.0 beta. After the release I downloaded the 3.0 and installed it.

Automatically the last database was updated to the last version. When I wanted to start with work I received the notice of the 1.000 item limitation.

There was no nitice from kinook that the database will be converted and no advise for long time users to the limitation.

The UR 2.0 installation was overwritten, so I could not try to open the converted database with the 2.0 version. Is this possible?
Therefore Kinook should think about this for a future bigger upgrade.
Solution may be installing the new version without deleteing/overwriting the former one. Converting databases to the new format and keeping a copy of the database in the former format, ir a name for example .UR2
Hartmut
Old 03-11-2007, 05:13 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by hartmut
well I am a long time user of UR 2.0 and without any 3.0 beta. After the release I downloaded the 3.0 and installed it.

Automatically the last database was updated to the last version. When I wanted to start with work I received the notice of the 1.000 item limitation.
The same thing as dasymington, you upgraded to new version and expected it to work without having license for it. Try to look on the positive side, you learned two important lessons that apply to ANY software:

1. before upgrading, backup your data (always!!!)
2. buy license before trying to use upgraded software

Old 03-11-2007, 06:17 AM

Sorry I do not agree.Before upgrading I want to see if I need this upgrade.
There mus be at least a notice that may databases will b e converted and the are the limitation of a evaluation copy.
I have no problem as I upgraded and received the key the same day.
It is not a complain from me but a request to kinook to think about their policy.
Hartmut
Old 03-11-2007, 07:42 AM

Unhappy

Yes, I'm in exactly the same boat. I used the internal 'check for updates' function in UltraRecall 2, found an upgrade and installed. I didn't even realise this one was paid-for until the '1000 item limit' message popped up.

I have no complaints at all about paying for the upgrade, but I would definitely have appreciated some warning
a) that it was paid-for (though I should have guessed/checked)
b) that it would include this limitation (though again I could have guessed there might be some limitation if I'd thought to check if it was paid-for).
c) that I wouldn't be able to get a new license number immediately on purchase!

c) is the bizarre one, IMO. Surely it's not in the least difficult to automate the generation and delivery of license keys? Not for a company-full of programmers??

Now creating a very long info-item with paragraphs like 'add appointment reminder as soon as license key arrives.'

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: