Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 04-04-2011, 04:27 PM

Pdf file questions

I have some questions about pdf files:

1. Is the text of pdf files searched when using a full text search?

2. Is it possible to get a pdf file to appear within the item detail pane?
(I have added the .pdf file extension into various text boxes including the browser but I seem to get some sort of metadata text in the details pane. The pdf file shows up from my Acrobat reader but does not appear in the item detail pane, but above it and when I open another pdf file the previous file shows up at the bottom of the MS Window screen)

3. I am currently using Adobe Reader X. Is it still recommended to download Foxit Reader , now version 4.3, for use in Ultra Recall?

Best wishes and thanks for an what to me is an a mindblowing software application,

John M
Old 04-04-2011, 06:01 PM
Administrator

Re: Pdf file questions

Quote:
Originally posted by woodlander
I have some questions about pdf files:

1. Is the text of pdf files searched when using a full text search?
Yes, as long as the text can be parsed. The PDF file format is rather haphazard (one PDF parser vendor indicated, "Some PDFs will simply never parse the way you would expect them to for various reasons. There is NO PDF to text converter in the world that can work with every PDF file ever created. Even Adobe itself cannot convert all PDFs to text properly."). The PDF parser we use works with most files, but I believe that if the text in the PDF file is encrypted or stored in a non-standard format, most tools can't parse text from them.
Quote:
2. Is it possible to get a pdf file to appear within the item detail pane?
(I have added the .pdf file extension into various text boxes including the browser but I seem to get some sort of metadata text in the details pane. The pdf file shows up from my Acrobat reader but does not appear in the item detail pane, but above it and when I open another pdf file the previous file shows up at the bottom of the MS Window screen)
See these links to set things up (first remove .pdf from all options you've added it to).
http://www.kinook.com/UltraRecall/Ma...naloleedit.htm
http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...?threadid=2430
Quote:
3. I am currently using Adobe Reader X. Is it still recommended to download Foxit Reader , now version 4.3, for use in Ultra Recall?
We prefer Foxit, but either one should work.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:02 AM

Thanks Kinook, it looks to have been a case of 'if all else fails read the manual' though I thought I had!

I now get pdf files showing neatly within the item detail pane, just as I wanted. The fading menu bar is also a nice touch.

Will install Foxit once I get reassurance from the vendor in respect of my Zone Alarm virus protection accusing it of being 'malicious' software,

Best wishes, John M.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:01 PM

best PDF software for browser based display in Ultra Recall

I see many people here talking about foxit or pdf xchange beeing preferable to adobe reader for displaying pdfs in UR (via browser). I just quite thoroughly tried all three of them, and cannot really follow the opinions above (this said with IE 9, win 7 64bit und UR Pro 4.2a).

Foxit reader: stealing focus in UR, quite slow (which is a knock out criterium for previews).

PDF xchange viewer: stealing focus, its pdf editing functions being great but useless when used in UR internally, as there is no saving possibility.

Adobe reader X: smooth, fast, not stealing focus (most of the time), option to open pdfs in browser in "read mode" (clean previews), text selection mode set as standard (which I prefer).

Sumatra Reader: not of interest, as there is no support for IE.

I really like pdf xchange, and I use it as my standard pdf viewer and editor when opening pdfs. But unluckily, when it comes to browser based previews, it is always stealing UR the focus (still with the option set to prevent it in UR), and adobe just works smoother and looks cleaner for pdf previews.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:09 PM

After all, and all the above said:

For UR being used as a document management system, we should have (sorry: we'd feel to be in heaven if we had!) a pdf preview possibility as there already is in windows 7's windows explorer file preview: very simple, very fast, and the file list (or item list, respectively) is still scrollable as there is no workaround acting in the background to prevent focus stealing...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: