Kinook Software Forums

Go Back   Kinook Software Forums > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-17-2007, 02:01 AM
Cris Tontchev Cris Tontchev is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: 03-13-2007
Posts: 14
Question View Office 2007 in Vista

Hello

I am having a hard time configuring UR to display Office 2007 internally under Vista Ultimate. I have read and tried all the suggestions in this forum, but the office 2007 Keeps opening in the external applications. Probably, I am doing something wrong, but I just can't figure it out by myself.

Please, could you help me out?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-18-2007, 10:58 AM
Cris Tontchev Cris Tontchev is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: 03-13-2007
Posts: 14
Anyone????
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-18-2007, 05:57 PM
quant's Avatar
quant quant is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: 11-30-2006
Posts: 967
which office application are you referring to? word, excel, ... ?

I use 2003 and works no problem. Go to option setting, then to "Browser'", and add extension to the "file extension to display in the internal browser view". For example, if you want to view excel files internally, just add ".xls", so that the line reads:
.html;.htm;.mht;.ico;.xls

hope it helps ...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-18-2007, 09:09 PM
Cris Tontchev Cris Tontchev is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: 03-13-2007
Posts: 14
Thanks for answering my post.

I would like to see word 2007, excel 2007, and visio 2007.

I did add the browser and documents extensions, including the xml and zip (as per manual) but still nothing.

There is another post about modify to "open in the same browser" in windows file extensions, but in Vista I could not find where is the advanced file extensions.

Last edited by Cris Tontchev; 03-18-2007 at 10:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-19-2007, 04:48 AM
quant's Avatar
quant quant is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: 11-30-2006
Posts: 967
maybe someone who has Vista installed can comment on your problem, I don't plan to install Vista, EVER (I'm already experimenting with Fedora 6, http://fedora.redhat.com/):

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00...ista_cost.html
http://www.grc.com/sn/SN-074.htm
http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/?p=882
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12..._drm_analysis/
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-19-2007, 07:21 AM
eno eno is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: 11-14-2006
Posts: 65
I run word 2000 and excel Ok

Quant - I like the bit in the GRC link that sugests by making vista too secure (going over the Top) they are actually making it easier for certain types of attack.

And by making HD content too protected, devices that are not in compliance wont work with vista (sounds like big brother to me)

Sorry for being off topic but already microsofts data execution prevention (DEP) has affected software use on my computer (Windows XP) to the point I think I will disable it compleatly. I have other software that does the job and that I can control.

Last edited by eno; 03-19-2007 at 12:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-19-2007, 10:55 AM
kinook kinook is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: 03-06-2001
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,752
It seems that MS decided to remove the 'File Types' Explorer feature in Vista: http://shellrevealed.com/blogs/shell...n-Windows.aspx

And Office 2007 default settings are to not browse in same window, so you'll have to manually munge the registry to get this configured properly on Vista+Office 2007.

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/Sho...iteID=1&mode=1

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927009
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-19-2007, 04:52 PM
Cris Tontchev Cris Tontchev is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: 03-13-2007
Posts: 14
Hi there
Great News!

I went through these 2 articles and carefuly changed the registry. Now, UR is displaying office 2007 files internally. I am very pleased!

There is one slight problem, UR is showing a window with the message: application is busy and I should switch or try again. I have WebResearch software and I am not having this message displaying there when viewing word 2007 or excel 2007 internally.

Please, advise.

Again, thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-19-2007, 05:04 PM
Cris Tontchev Cris Tontchev is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: 03-13-2007
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally posted by quant
maybe someone who has Vista installed can comment on your problem, I don't plan to install Vista, EVER (I'm already experimenting with Fedora 6, http://fedora.redhat.com/):

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00...ista_cost.html
http://www.grc.com/sn/SN-074.htm
http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/?p=882
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12..._drm_analysis/
I have to say that I am very happy with Windows Vista in terms of perfomance, easy access of files, and off course the eye-candy thing.

My backgound is not computer sciences, so I can't make any technical comparissons, but as a end-user I can feel and say the difference while using my unit. Am I am really loving Vista!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-19-2007, 05:56 PM
quant's Avatar
quant quant is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: 11-30-2006
Posts: 967
Quote:
Originally posted by Cris Tontchev
I have to say that I am very happy with Windows Vista in terms of perfomance
have you tried any other operating system running on the same hardware? certainly not, cause only then you'd see what's Vista performance.


Quote:
Originally posted by Cris Tontchev
My backgound is not computer sciences, so I can't make any technical comparissons, but as a end-user I can feel and say the difference while using my unit. Am I am really loving Vista!
Maybe it's nicer (at what performance cost), but in all other aspects, it's a big looser. Play some video, music, and soon you'll see among the processes one that takes a lot of resources, just for the big brother to check whether you are not watching some protected content. This itself is easy for the attackers to make your system completely unstable, just by changing some tilt bit. Video cards will have to have some "black box" inside them, making them more expensive, and impossible to write free drivers for them. I'm not going into details, everything is in the links mentioned above. Am I going to support company that from the beginning assumes I'm thief, upgrade product that is slower and less stable than the previous version (XP), and imposes unnecessary expenses on the whole market of video cards because Hollywood decided to? I wish people would ask sth similar before spending money on Vista and on upgrading their system because Vista demands it.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-19-2007, 06:57 PM
Cris Tontchev Cris Tontchev is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: 03-13-2007
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally posted by quant
[B]have you tried any other operating system running on the same hardware? certainly not, cause only then you'd see what's Vista performance.

[B]
Yes, in this tabletPC I had the Windows tablet PC 2005 edition. Thus, as I stated I can say the difference while using this notebook. It had an increase in performance and my software open faster.


[QUOTE]Maybe it's nicer (at what performance cost), but in all other aspects, it's a big looser. Play some video, music, and soon you'll see among the processes one that takes a lot of resources, just for the big brother to check whether you are not watching some protected content. [QUOTE]

This is bad for us end-users, but, in the other hand, it will protect somebody else rights. I am not saying that I agree with that, but this kind of issue is not causing me any problem. Neither in performance, because I usually have 6 or 7 applications open at the same time and I do not listen to music or watch video when I am working; neither in pleasure of have a nice Media Center.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-20-2007, 10:53 AM
kinook kinook is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: 03-06-2001
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,752
Quote:
Originally posted by Cris Tontchev
There is one slight problem, UR is showing a window with the message: application is busy and I should switch or try again. I have WebResearch software and I am not having this message displaying there when viewing word 2007 or excel 2007 internally.
That dialog is actually displayed by IE (embedded within UR and what actual hosts Word, Excel, etc.) if the application does not respond in a timely manner.
http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...?threadid=1758

I did see this when testing Vista+Office 2007 in a Virtual PC, but would have expected it to be fast enough to avoid that when running on the PC hardware. Dismissing the dialog did cause Windows/IE/Word to function normally after it had completed loading.

There may be a way to increase the timeout before that dialog gets displayed (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/240809), which we'll add to our list to investigate.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-20-2007, 11:15 PM
Cris Tontchev Cris Tontchev is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: 03-13-2007
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally posted by kinook
That dialog is actually displayed by IE (embedded within UR and what actual hosts Word, Excel, etc.) if the application does not respond in a timely manner.
http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...?threadid=1758

I did see this when testing Vista+Office 2007 in a Virtual PC, but would have expected it to be fast enough to avoid that when running on the PC hardware. Dismissing the dialog did cause Windows/IE/Word to function normally after it had completed loading.

There may be a way to increase the timeout before that dialog gets displayed (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/240809), which we'll add to our list to investigate.
Other time out I have noticed is happenning with large PDF files. I have hundreds of ebooks in PDF format that range from 500 to 1300 pages and when I choose one of those large PDF it is taking a long time for it to display in UR. I even have a window message saying "creating item temporary file - Please, wait...."

Is it happening because those PDF are too large for UR? or it has something to do with vista/IE7 ?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-21-2007, 06:42 AM
kinook kinook is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: 03-06-2001
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,752
Quote:
Originally posted by Cris Tontchev
Other time out I have noticed is happenning with large PDF files. I have hundreds of ebooks in PDF format that range from 500 to 1300 pages and when I choose one of those large PDF it is taking a long time for it to display in UR. I even have a window message saying "creating item temporary file - Please, wait...."

Is it happening because those PDF are too large for UR? or it has something to do with vista/IE7 ?
That is a different dialog, which may be displayed by UR while creating the temporary copy of a large stored document (so that the operation can be cancelled by the user if desired). One way to avoid this would be to import the item linked rather than stored (so that it can be opened directly from the file system rather than creating a temporary copy).
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-21-2007, 06:56 AM
MikeH MikeH is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: 07-07-2005
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally posted by Cris Tontchev
Anyone????
I'm not sure if this helps, but under XP, you'd have to go to file types and hit the 'Advanced' button and place a check next to 'Browse in Same Window'.

I haven't worked with Vista yet, but I run Office 2007 in UR 3 and everything displays internally from Word to Project. Is there a similar option in Vista?

If we could get DO to display internally or have UR display inside UR, we'd be pretty near perfection!

MikeH
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:33 AM.


Copyright 1999-2019 Kinook Software, Inc.