Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Visual Build Professional > [VBP] Third Party Tools

Old 08-29-2003, 06:00 PM

Thumbs down Version Information

I was hoping to use the SET VERSION NUMBER feature of the VS.NET build to set the "Product Version" for all the components in my solution, and to allow each project in the solution to manage its own "FileVersion" and "AssemblyVersion" values.

However, if I check SET VERSION NUMBER and only check PRODUCT VERSION, I get a message box asking me to select one or more version numbers to update. This means I'll have to set the either the AssemblyVersion or FileVersion of EACH component in my solution to the same value as the ProductVersion... which is not necessarily accurate.

Is there any way to get around this? It seems like a bug in the logic for checking which/how many checkboxes were toggled.
Old 08-29-2003, 07:09 PM
Administrator

That is indeed a bug in the validation logic of the Make VS.NET action. There are two ways to work around it for now:

1) Manually edit the .bld file in a text editor, removing the <FileVer> line of the Make VS.NET step (marked below):

<step action='Make VS.NET' type='0'>
<Attr type='11'>-1</Attr>
<Config>Release</Config>
<FileVer>-1</FileVer> <-- remove this line and save the file
<Filename>xyz.sln</Filename>
<ProdVer type='11'>-1</ProdVer>
<Version>1.2.3.4</Version>
<VersionSel type='3'>2</VersionSel>
<name>vsnet</name>
</step>

The step will then only set the Product Version when built. This would have to be done manually whenever the the Make VS.NET step is edited.

2) Use the field override capability of VisBuildPro to turn off the File Version option of the Make VS.NET step during the build (sample attached, also see 'field override' in the help index for a description of how that works).
Attached Files
File Type: bld prodver.bld (1.4 KB, 1058 views)
Old 09-02-2003, 10:57 AM

Talking

Thanks for that fix, it's going to make my life a lot easier :-)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: