Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 03:26 PM

UltraRecall Temp folder location and syntax

With a large Word document stored in UR I often use the "Open Document" command to edit it in Word.

Having made some changes I may decide to create a new "file" with a new file name, so that both the original document and its variant are available to me.

The file saves to Local Settings / Temp / UltraRecall / xxxxx /new filename.

I can then open Windows Explorer and move the new file into UltraRecall.

The process works quite well, but I have the following questions:

1. Is there a quicker way to do this, for example saving straight back to UR from Word?
2. If I only need the files in UR, should I delete the originals in the above temporary directory or do they expire after a given time anyway?
3. Can I specify an easier location for the files, eg in the same directory as I store my urd files?
4. How are the names of the Temp / UR sub directories (which are five digit numbers) determined? And when do files share one of those directories as opposed to being put in a new directory?

Any help, or pointers as to where I should look, would be appreciated.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:43 PM

forget local setting, temp ... and everything
let UR take care of that ... you don't need to know the answer to any of that technical questions you asked.

Open your word, make some changes ...
if want to now create a new word file based on that -> save in word CTRL+S, go to UR and click on synchronize button (CTRL+F5) to make sure the changes are updated to UR. Now copy the item in UR and make a duplicate where you want. That's it. You have a copy of your updated word and everything stored in UR.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:06 PM

Quant, many thanks for that. I have half followed you.

My starting point is " Word Document version 1" that is in UR. I open it in Word. I change it, and Ctrl-S as "Word Document version 2" in the temp file.

I don't want "Word Document version 1" in UR to be changed. What I need is to get the new "Word Document version 2" into UR, currently sitting in the Temp file.

I realise I can instead duplicate "Word Document version 1" within UR at the outset, retitle the duplicate in UR as "Word Document version 2", and THEN take that into Word, make my changes, and do as you suggest. But it is a bit convoluted.

Or am I misunderstanding you?
Old 08-09-2007, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by StephenUK
Quant, many thanks for that. I have half followed you.

My starting point is " Word Document version 1" that is in UR. I open it in Word. I change it, and Ctrl-S as "Word Document version 2" in the temp file.

I don't want "Word Document version 1" in UR to be changed. What I need is to get the new "Word Document version 2" into UR, currently sitting in the Temp file.
This is not a very good practice. Making changes in v1 doc and then do "save as v2 doc", leaves v1 doc with unsaved changes (this is what you want), but word could do autosave in the meantime, UR could do synchronize, when you'll be closing v1 doc, word asks you what to do with unsaved changes when you can make mistake and save the changes ... all in all, this is very error prone approach

Quote:
Originally posted by StephenUK
I realise I can instead duplicate "Word Document version 1" within UR at the outset, retitle the duplicate in UR as "Word Document version 2", and THEN take that into Word, make my changes, and do as you suggest. But it is a bit convoluted.

Or am I misunderstanding you?
this could be one way to store several consecutive versions of the same file, if that is what you wanted to achieve. Maybe to prevent opening the word several times this approach would be preferable: starting from "latest version doc", following the steps if my first reply, you'd be able to store after making some changes to "latest version doc", v1 doc, ... v2 doc, still having the latest changes in the single open word file "latest version doc"
Old 08-09-2007, 05:04 PM

Quant - thank you for the reply which really answers everything.

But just out of interest, if I open v1 in Word and immediately save it as v2, THEN start my changes, is that so dangerous? If I were only working in Word, and wanted to produce versions, that is how I would do it, and I might produce several versions that way.

As an aside, it would be nice if there were the same funnel icon in Word as one sees in Internet Explorer, allowing straight export into UR as with web pages. (Ditto, incidentally, pdfs displayed other than in IE).

And secondly, do you know what happens to those temp Word files? After all, they do perhaps represent a kind of backup outside UR which one might put to good use. In which case an understanding of the numbering system for the sub-directories and an understanding of how long they remain, would at least satisfy my curiosity!
Old 08-09-2007, 05:29 PM

This help file entry covers the basics: http://www.kinook.com/UltraRecall/Ma...xternally.htm.

The numbered folder used in the temp folder is the ItemID attribute value of the related Info Item (see this help file entry to show this normally hidden System Attribute: http://www.kinook.com/UltraRecall/Ma...utesdialog.htm).
Old 08-09-2007, 05:51 PM

Kevina - thank you.