Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 05-11-2011, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodo View Post
mwlang, I have always had download scripts and download images checked. I think what you are seeing is because the page is not fully loaded, if you wait long enough for the page to fully load it will pop to unstyled.

For finding other pages that cause problems, I didn't have to look far. The very first one I tried linking/copying to UR has the same problem, and with an even nastier twist.

http://www.9news.com
If I choose "copy" to UR, then I see the same problem as the page mentioned earlier in this thread (the page takes a long time to load, and initially looks perfectly styled. Then when it is finally completely loaded it loses some of its style information).

The real fun comes with the 9news.com url when 'link' is chosen instead of 'copy'. Again, in UR it appears the page loads completely normally until it is fully loaded and then loses some style information. If you don't see it losing style info, let it sit there for a while to ensure it fully loads. Ok, once the style info is messed up, try clicking anywhere else in UR other than that page. I get a UR popup that states, "Error saving item: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.". I have to kill the UR process in task manager to get past that message (can't even close UR through UR itself without getting that popup).

Another symptom I have seen on a number of websites when copy/link in UR is done -- the website pulls up normally for a few seconds, then becomes unstyled as described above. But at the same time as it becomes unstyled, 1 or more sections of the webpage pull up in the default browser (separate browser windows). I have seen some websites open as many as 5 windows in the default browser when the item is selected in UR, however when opened in a regular browser those 5 windows are all part of the same webpage.

I would have reported these problems before, but I just figured they happened so often they were already known so I just stopped using UR for any webpage data.

Thanks,
Mark.
Testing on two different Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1 machines w/ UR Pro 4.2a, I wasn't able to reproduce any of these problems. With the 'Download scripts' option enabled, the pages all displayed properly (even after waiting several minutes to see if the styles were lost), and no error message or separate browser windows were displayed, whether storing or linking. Please send or post the info requested at http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=3038 in case it can shed any light on the issues you're experiencing. Thanks.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:53 PM

I got a little curious to see what was similar between the two webpages listed in this thread.

Both are asp.net websites.
Both use embedded resources (website resources compiled into a DLL) that appear in the page source as webresource.axd

Perhaps the embedded resources are causing problems for UR in the link or copy process?

Anyway, might be something here and maybe not, just thought I'd share what I saw.

I'll do what's requested in the posting 3038 and email in the info.

Thanks,
Mark.

Last edited by Nobodo; 05-11-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:00 PM
Administrator

Disappearing styles would be an Internet Explorer issue (an embedded instance of IE is used to render web pages inside UR).
Old 05-11-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodo View Post
mwlang, I have always had download scripts and download images checked. I think what you are seeing is because the page is not fully loaded, if you wait long enough for the page to fully load it will pop to unstyled.
I thought I waited long enough. To be sure, tried again just now, and made sure I waited long enough (minutes now). All pages--from intel or 9news, stored or linked--display properly as long as the "download scripts" option is enabled. Nor could I generate any errors no matter where I clicked.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:05 PM

As reported, the 'download scripts' option was already turned on. I tried just about every combination of settings I could think of to no avail. The same problem happened in new or existing databases, and compact/repair made no difference.

I finally uninstalled UR, including user settings, and reinstalled. Now I am having no problems with copied or linked webpages.

Thanks,
Mark.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:22 PM

Mark,

Same problem here. UR Pro 4.2.1.5, and almost all pages copied into UR have all menus expanded vertically down the page. I did select the Download Scripts option but it hasn’t changed anything.

If I navigate to the same pages in UR's browser they look perfect. But I cannot figure out how to then "store" the page that I am viewing in UR's browser. Is there a way to do that?

Windows 7 Home Premium, 32-bit.

Thank you.

Jim
Old 06-13-2011, 01:28 PM
Administrator

You would need to synchronize or delete and re-import any already-imported pages after checking the Download scripts option. If you're talking about pages that haven't already been imported, we would need the info requested at http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=3038 in order to investigate. Thanks.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:09 PM

OK, I guess I need to send you that information. Newly copied pages are still showing poorly. I just captured the UR download page and the menus are expanded vertically, etc. (Attached)

I just now sent off an email with all that same info because of another problem viewing PDF files; can you use that to help with this issue? Should I send it all again? Or just an email referencing the first?

Thank you.

Jim
Attached Images

Old 06-13-2011, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Which browser and version are you importing from? How are you importing the pages?
Old 06-13-2011, 02:45 PM

I am capturing the pages in Firefox 4, using UR's Firefox extension. The extension was just updated when I installed 4.2.1.5 a little while ago.

Method:
  • Right Click and then "Select All"
  • Right Click and then "Copy to Ultra Recall"

That's it. Then I just wait for the audio alert that the page capture is complete.

Thanks!

Jim
Old 06-13-2011, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Try not doing Select All before Copy to UR. Firefox doesn't include stylesheet info in the HTML on the clipboard when copying part or all of a page. If nothing is selected on the page, UR will retrieve the page with all formatting (stylesheets, images, etc.) directly from the web site.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:12 AM

In case this helps anyone, I was also having HUGE problems with the way certain web pages were rendering in UR, while they rendered fine in IE8. I'm referring to linked pages, not stored pages. I upgraded to IE9 and it didn't make any difference. Then, I went to http://www.mybrowserinfo.com and was surprised to discover that UR was sending an IE7 Compatibility View User Agent string, even though going to the same page in IE9 showed the standard IE9 User Agent.

I did some digging around and discovered to my further surprise that the embedded browser uses Compatibility View by default. To overrride this and make the embedded browser match the standard behavior of IE, you have to set the following registry key:

[(HKEY_CURRENT_USER or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE)\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULA TION]
"UltraRecall.exe" = dword 9000 (Hex: 0x1F40)

If you're using IE8, you'll want to set the value to 8000 instead of 9000. Make sure you're setting the decimal value to 8000 or 9000, not the hex value. After you close out of the registry and restart UR, you will be amazed to discover that all your web pages now render perfectly!

Admin note: UR now registers version 11 in the above registry setting during installation.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: