Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] User Tips, Tricks and Samples

Old 01-02-2006, 02:53 PM

Freemind or Mindjet Manager export

Hi all-

New user alert I am building a set of functional trees for a new full-time job I am starting and would like to have the nodes and siblings exported into a mindmap format like with freemind or mindjet mindmanager 6. I've tried simply exporting to xml and I get unusual output in that none of the major nodes or siblings are represented and cells contain cryptic numbered and lettered information only.

Is there a way to simply "copy and paste" project and task nodes into a mindmap solution?

Many thanks!

Mike
Old 01-03-2006, 09:50 AM

I am not very familiar with MindMap or FreeMind, but a quick perusal didn't turn up a simple way of getting Ultra Recall data into them. One option would be to export your Ultra Recall data as Documents and rich item text to a folder, then import this folder structure into FreeMind (but this won't preserve Logical Links or attribute values)...

Are you saying that the xml exported by Ultra Recall contains "cryptic" characters when viewed in a text editor or browser, or when "viewed" by MindMap or Freemind? I don't believe either of these applications can consume OML/OPML (or any XML format that I could see).
Old 03-07-2006, 07:54 AM

if someone writes an xsl for freemind it would not be hard to get those xmls to freemind. Freemind has both graphical and logical links between nodes. I am sure if its defined in xsl transformation it is possible to have those connections in Freemind.

On the other hand best and easiest way to get content into freemind is to have indented text structure. If you can export content as indented text

father
---child1
---child2
-----grandson1
---------grandson1_content
etc

Freemind can turn those into its on content on the fly (simple copy pasting to Freemind)

Thou this is the best solution for text related contents

Last edited by dedebaykus; 03-07-2006 at 07:56 AM.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:36 PM

I have a (fairly crude) XSL file which will transform .OML to .XML (readable by MindManager 6 (mindJet)).

To use it Export selected Items from UR as a.OML file, then transform with the attached .XSL file.
To transform I suggest the command line utility "msxsl.exe" from MS which you can get from:

http://tinyurl.com/gub2y

syntax is something like:
msxsl source.oml oml2mmap.xsl -o target.xml

then just load target.xml in MindManager (and format as you require)

NB: As I said this is a fairly crude XSL, it will import all Items but will "flatten" them to core and sub-topics only (no deeply nested topics produced)
Old 04-14-2006, 05:39 PM

Cool

... and the attachement (in zip format) .. sorry tried to post a raw xsl the first time not a good idea I suppose!
Attached Files
File Type: zip oml2mmap.zip (1.5 KB, 2209 views)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: