Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 08-16-2010, 12:55 PM

Not able to perform a search

This is probably a case of user error, so please be patient. For some reason, I am unable to perform a quick search or an advanced search in my database. It is quite large at 790MB, and I tried compacting and repairing. Full text search is not activated, and I have never had trouble like this before. It seems not to matter where in the database I try to search from. I can use my pre-defined searches from the search pane, but quick and advanced simply do not work. Nothing happens - the detail pane does not change. This worked yesterday.

Any suggestions?

By the way, I am using 4.1.3.4.

Jon
Old 08-16-2010, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Is it not searching, or searching but not finding any results (does the caption beside the Advanced/Quick button in the search detail pane update with 0 matching items...done)?

You mentioned that your pre-defined searches work. The Quick Search and Advanced Find items are just other pre-defined searches, so you might be able to just use or copy one of the working search items and instead.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:14 PM

Thank you for your reply. I cannot use the standard shortcut (CTRL+SHIFT+F), the menu or the toolbar. Nothing happens. I do not get the search form in the detail pane.

Jon
Old 08-16-2010, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Are you able to manually navigate in the Search pane (Ctrl+0) to My Searches -> Quick Search and search from there?

We would need to see your database to diagnose the problem. See the notes in #5a to minimize the database size for sending:
http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...?threadid=3038

Thanks.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kinook
Are you able to manually navigate in the Search pane (Ctrl+0) to My Searches -> Quick Search and search from there?
I can open up the Search Pane, but there is no Quick Search present. There are choices under Events and Popular, but definitely no Quick Search.

Jon
Old 08-16-2010, 02:05 PM

I re-created Quick Search within the Search Pane. It functions normally. However, I cannot use the shortcut, toolbar icon, nor the menu - nothing works and I would like to limit my search to particular areas of the tree.

Jon
Old 08-16-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Polish
I would like to limit my search to particular areas of the tree.

Jon
I know I can limit it, but it is not working as it used to.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Did you check the 'Reset all system information to defaults' option when repairing? That should bring back the real Quick Search item even if it was deleted somehow.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kinook
Did you check the 'Reset all system information to defaults' option when repairing? That should bring back the real Quick Search item even if it was deleted somehow.
No, I did not. I do not want to lose my customizations. However, I was preparing the database to send you following the steps you describe above. I deleted all uneccesary data and was still able to reproduce the problem. I compacted the new file as before (the check boxes were unticked for "Reset all sytem..." and "Enable enhanced full-text..." and now the Quick Search functions are working. So what happened? I stilll cannot use them on my real database and I think the smalller database will no longer be useful to you for diagnostic purposes.

Jon

EDIT: Is it possible that one or more items could have this effect?

Last edited by Jon Polish; 08-16-2010 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Actually, a regular repair (with the Reset option unchecked) should also restore a deleted Quick Search item. Apparently something in the original database is preventing that from working. You can try running these statements with SQLite.exe (see http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...?threadid=2825):

INSERT INTO Item(ItemID,ItemTitle,TemplateItemID,StatusID,Icon ID,System,CreateDate,UpdateDate,AccessDate,Keyword Count,TitleAttributeID,ChildCount,LinkCount,Access Count,BlobSize,UncompressedSize) VALUES (990,'Quick Search',8,NULL,980,1,38197,38197,NULL,2,5,NULL,NUL L,NULL,NULL,NULL);

INSERT INTO ItemLink(ItemLinkID,ItemID,ParentItemID,Expanded,C hildPosition,DeleteDate,DeletedParentItemID) VALUES (984,990,996,0,0,NULL,NULL);

If that doesn't help, you'll probably need to restore a backup from before the problem occurred.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:24 PM

OK, I can try this. I'll need to do this tonight. Will get back to you tomorrow.

Jon
Old 08-16-2010, 04:19 PM

Out of desperation (I really needed some references), I did a compact and repair with the "Reset all system information to defaults" box ticked. It worked, and I now have the search function back to normal. Of course I first backed up my file, but what I would like to know is what customizations were changed? Would the SQLite method be preferrable?

Jon
Old 08-16-2010, 04:24 PM
Administrator

A full repair restores all the original data from the template database (items, titles, text, attributes, forms, etc.).
Old 08-16-2010, 10:50 PM

I have had the same issue since I have upgraded to 4.2 The other day I needed to run the repair 3 times ( different times throughout the day ) to get the search to work again. I have also frozen up a few times. My db is only 105gb so it might be considered small to have these issues.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:56 AM
Administrator

I guess you mean 105MB? Can you ZIP and send the database, or a pared down version where the problem still occurs, and indicate actions that cause the quick search item to disappear? Thanks.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: