Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 12-31-2007, 04:36 AM

Internal Linking

Referring to the topic Internal Link in the manual (see http://www.kinook.com/UltraRecall/Ma...ternal+linking), it states:
In addition to logically linking within the Data Explorer pane, internal links to other Info Items (in the same or other databases) can be added to the content of any Text item in an Ultra Recall Info Database by copying and pasting or dragging and dropping an item from the Data Explorer pane, Search pane, or Related Items pane into the text editor.
It indicates that the links can be created between databases. I tried out this feature in vain.

Either in an Item Text or an Item Notes, I type "test" (a plain text) and hyperplink it with a URL of an Info Item I copy with Ctrl+Shift+C from another urd. It fails to create a valid hyperlinked text.

Please help. Thanks.

Armstrong
Old 12-31-2007, 07:11 AM

in db2 focus on item in explorer
copy w URL
go to db1
focus (click) in text or note area of any other item
paste
hyperlink should appear

clicking on this link should open the other db & focus on the item you selected.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:26 AM

The good news is you prove that the interlinkage between multiple urds works.

The not too good news is it isn't what I intended. In my original post, I indicated that I would like to embed a text strig with a URL. For example, a text string "Kinook", when clicked, can jump to a folder in another urd. Is it possible?
Thanks for your help.

Armstrong
Old 12-31-2007, 10:16 AM

I thought I answered your question, Armstrong. I guess I don't understand what you want. Why don't you give me an example & I'll try again if I have enough knowledge.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:23 AM

Example:

My objective is to embed URLs into text. For example, <Orphaned link> is embedded with http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...threadid=3365, which is hidden from the readers.

Armstrong
Old 12-31-2007, 10:31 AM

basically same idea:

from text / note pane select text to embed URL
right click contexct menu
Insert Hyperlink
etc
Old 12-31-2007, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by armsys
For example, a text string "Kinook", when clicked, can jump to a folder in another urd. Is it possible?
After inserting the link, edit the link's text (either inline or via Edit | Hyperlink Properties).
Old 12-31-2007, 11:38 AM

Kinook,

Thanks for your instruction. Indeed it works superbly without surprise. The trick is to first insert/paste the URL copied from another URD. Then change the text.

Armstrong
Old 01-05-2008, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kinook
After inserting the link, edit the link's text (either inline or via Edit | Hyperlink Properties).
What about an external link, i.e. www URL?
Old 01-05-2008, 09:07 AM

Hi jannif,

As a matter of fact, it is simpler than expected.
In the Item Notes, type any text you like, say, "External Link", and select the text string. Press Ctrl+Shift+K. In the Insert Hyperlink dialog window, fill in the File/URL field with http://www.kinook.com/Forum/newreply...threadid=3364.
That's all it takes. When you click "External Link", it will jump over this webpage you're reading now.

Armstrong

Last edited by armsys; 01-05-2008 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by armsys
Hi jannif,

As a matter of fact, it is simpler than expected.
In the Item Notes, type any text you like, say, "External Link", and select the text string. Press Ctrl+Shift+K. In the Insert Hyperlink dialog window, fill in the File/URL field with http://www.kinook.com/Forum/newreply...threadid=3364.
That's all it takes. When you click "External Link", it will jump over this webpage you're reading now.

Armstrong
<CTRL><SHFT>K = strikeout & after reading kinook's steps I was asking the same question you asked except when dealing w an external link, i.e. link is in already in text & user wants to convert to more readible link.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by janrif
<CTRL><SHFT>K = strikeout
By default-

<CTRL><SHFT>K is Insert or edit a hyperlink
Which allow you to convert to a more readable text. Same as selecting the hyperlink and Edit | Hyperlink properties

http://www.kinook.com/UltraRecall/Ma...etailspane.htm

Strikeout is <CTRL><SHFT>M

http://www.kinook.com/UltraRecall/Ma...formatting.htm
Old 01-05-2008, 05:38 PM

Thanks $bill but not here. Something is changed. Maybe I did something inadvertantly. Will look @ options | customize, etc. Apologies to Armstrong
Old 01-05-2008, 07:02 PM

janrif,

1. First look up your keyboard mapping in UR ( Tools | Customize | Keyboard ). In the <Category:>, select Item. Scroll down the <Commands:> scrollbox and select "Format | Strikeout". Given your description, it's likely the problem will be resolved.

2. If the Insert Hyperlink is set to UR manufacturer default keyboard shortcut, namely, Ctrl+Shift+K, then it's caused by a global hotkeys, which always override the applications' keyboard shortcuts. Unfortunately, there's no easy way to locate the source(s) of these global hotkeys. No, Windows doesn't have the tool to locate the global hotkeys even for the hotkeys asisgned to the icons on the Windows desktop.

3. In the absence of any available keyboard shortcuts, all functions in UR can be performed through a myriad of menus. In this caes, just select the user-friendly text and right-click your mouse. You should find the 10th item, namely, Insert Hyperlink.... If you change inadvertently your keyboard mapping, you will see it as well.

4. I'm still a kindergarten student learning how to walk in the UR wonderland, and learn a great deal from generous memebers like you. Please don't mention it.

Armstrong
Old 01-05-2008, 08:20 PM

Armstrong, for some reason, keystrokes got re-mapped here so I changed back to defaults, i.e. keyboard strokes you mention now = hyperlink, <SHFT><CTRL>M = strike out. Don't know how they got changed but doesn't make any difference as it's easy to re-map.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: