Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 04-25-2007, 08:04 AM

more on export

If user does not store contents in UR as in Launchy create link in UR, how does user export this information to another user. If I were to store all the contents that I link to, I'd have a separate machine for my db (slight exaggeration but not by much). Thank you.

Added later: In ADM, for example, data transfer from source could (by option) include source, date acquired & user note in item details. This was very helpful when grouping various data types for distribution.

Last edited by janrif; 04-25-2007 at 08:34 AM.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:27 AM

Jan,

Just ran a quick test on exporting Stored and Linked Items in conjunction with export2.zip.

If an Item contains Stored content, then the Stored content is exported to a subfolder underneath the UR Export Folder - this Stored Content can be rtf from the Detail Pane or Doc Type Items.

If an Item contains Linked content, this Linked content is not exported but it is referenced in the resulting html (toc.html). Although this reference shows as an html link, it's a dead link - it would appear that some work needs to be done to modify this link to include the relative path to the linked material.

Exporting Linked content appears to be a problem, especially if your Linked content is spread over a variety of Folders. If your linked content is structured in subfolders under your UR data location, then a solution may be attained but would take some editing of the resulting html (toc.html).

I do hope that Kinook is looking at a more elegant means of outputting from the database.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:16 AM
Administrator

For a linked web page item exported to HTML via http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...?threadid=2054, its URL (and other exported attributes) will be included in the exported page.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kinook
For a linked web page item exported to HTML via http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...threadid=2054, its URL (and other exported attributes) will be included in the exported page.
For the following folder structure:

\UR Data\Content_Folder\file-1.doc
\UR Data\Content_Folder\file-2.doc

file-1.doc is Stored Item
file-2.doc is Linked Item

Do a UR Export (to xml) against a branch that contains the above Stored-Linked Items, the path for this export is:

\UR Data\Export_Folder

this export will create this structure:

\UR Data\Export_Folder\export_StoredContent\file-1.doc

Run the Transform vbs from export2.zip and the resulting toc.html will contain a linked reference to each Item (file-1.doc and file-2.doc), but the html link to file-2.doc is dead.

In order to activate the link for file-2.doc I must edit the toc.html and add "../" to the beginning of the referenced path for file-2.doc.

If export2.zip is used to create distributable output (index.html, toc.html, and subfolders for icons and stored content), then it would seem that Linked Content would need to be handled in the same manner as Stored Content.

Later,
KenA
Old 04-25-2007, 11:42 AM

Guys, I'm sorry. This is way over my head & I would imagine it will be above the head of many URp devotees.

LIke I said, this is very frustrating for me, personally, because I made another stupid assumption: if a program like URp is good at takng data in, it will be just as good at getting it out, i.e. sharing it.

At this point I suppose the only *real* way to select all kinds of data & sharing it is to export it to a UR db & send a viewer along with it. A bit cumbersome. I'll have to try that unless someone wants to pipe up & tell me not to waste my time.

Thanks.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by janrif
Guys, I'm sorry. This is way over my head & I would imagine it will be above the head of many URp devotees.

-snip-

At this point I suppose the only *real* way to select all kinds of data & sharing it is to export it to a UR db & send a viewer along with it. A bit cumbersome. I'll have to try that unless someone wants to pipe up & tell me not to waste my time.
Actually, I think that the process available in export2.zip offers a good begining and affords some flexibility when combined with Saved Exports and multiple export folders.

Distributing with the viewer may afford the best presentation, but I haven't worked with it yet. In fact, I was only drawn into the output process by these discussions, I haven't needed this aspect of the program yet.

Later,
KenA
Old 04-25-2007, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ashwken
Actually, I think that the process available in export2.zip offers a good begining and affords some flexibility when combined with Saved Exports and multiple export folders.

Distributing with the viewer may afford the best presentation, but I haven't worked with it yet. In fact, I was only drawn into the output process by these discussions, I haven't needed this aspect of the program yet.
Ken I hope you don't think I was complaining about your help, nor Kyle's either. It's just that I'm one of those guys who's been using computers since before Apple II days but as a user, not a techie, not a programmer, etc. My loss but I never had time.

So -- in this particular case -- I find myself in a situation where there may be an answer for what I need to do but don't have the savy to noodle thru it. I'm just not comfortable enough, don't know enough and, frankly believe, I should have to. Having said that I'm not against trying.

To put this in context I started a non-commercially supported website many years ago -- as an internet exercise -- which has grown into hundreds of pages of information on the Bouvier des Flandres breed of dog. And fortunately or un-fortunately it has become the focus of inquiries from all over the world at the rate of +/- 100,000 hits monthly. On a commercial level that may not be a lot but for a one man band who just does it for the love of the breed, it is a lot.

And people write me directly to ask about this health issue or some training technique etc & I gather information that I have archived on my system to give them a compiltion of articles, emails, links etc on the subject I feel it has become my responsibility to do this.

So I think from this you can see how important distributing information is for me.

Added to that is keeping me on track for the other parts of my life which is why I am so interested in an all-in-one solution.

Anyway, sorry to go on about a personal OT situation but I hope this puts some of my comments, questions, suggestions to this forum into context.

Thank you.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Ken I hope you don't think I was complaining about your help, nor Kyle's either.
-snip-
Anyway, sorry to go on about a personal OT situation but I hope this puts some of my comments, questions, suggestions to this forum into context.
Jan, no offence taken - sorry if I sound abrupt, just trying to stick to the facts.

Actually, your off-topic comments were insightful, and I'm even more convinced that the process available in export2.zip will be of benefit to you (if the problem with Linked Content can be resloved).

I have learned a lot from this little exercise, even if I'm not yet at a point in my own work to benefit.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:49 PM

Quote:
[snip] I'm even more convinced that the process available in export2.zip will be of benefit to you (if the problem with Linked Content can be resloved).
OK, well in that case I'll try to stay positive about the process & hope it will resolve itself into some form that duffers like me can understand.

BTW, I tried the 'viewer' process & realize that for my use, it's really an imposition on the person I'm sending info to, to ask them to install a new program & to see information in a form they are not used to seeing . So that makes 2 reasons to hope the 'export2' scenario works out.....and soon.

I went back & tried export2, think I followed the directions & the result was a browser window split in 2 - left for TOC, right for data. However, the most clicking on link in left frame did was to open the linked data in word, i.e. externally. The only data displayed in the right were ico graphics.

Is the what you meant by the 'linked content' issue?

Last edited by janrif; 04-25-2007 at 03:11 PM.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:50 PM

Quote:
However, the most clicking on link in left frame did was to open the linked data in word, i.e. externally. The only data displayed in the right were ico graphics.

Is the what you meant by the 'linked content' issue?
Sorry, I don't know how to link to an earlier message in this thread, but in my response to Kinook...

For the html: in the LH-Pane, if the link is for an Item that was Stored content in UR, then the LH-Pane link will show that Stored content in the RH-pane.

For the html: in the LH-Pane, if the link is for an Item that was Linked content in UR, then the LH-Pane link will NOT show that Linked content in the RH-pane.

In order to get this Linked content to show in the RH-Pane I had to modify the toc.html as mentioned in the earlier post.

If you look at the folder that you exported to, you should see two subfolders - one for icons, and one for Stored Content - look in this subfolder for Stored Content and you will see where the material for the RH-Pane is coming from.

It just seems to me that a subfolder for Linked Content needs to be created during the UR Export.

Oh, by the way, my testing was with Word .doc files, and they opened in the RH-Pane without launching Word (running IE7).
Old 04-26-2007, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Sorry, I don't know how to link to an earlier message in this thread, but in my response to Kinook...[snip]
I went back to that post & 'understand' what you pointed out with the added '/' character & the added subfolder for linked info. I assume this is a kinook fix.

In my case this also happened w RTF files which I guess is the same problem, i.e. linked materials.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:01 PM

Quote:
I went back to that post & 'understand' what you pointed out with the added '/' character & the added subfolder for linked info. I assume this is a kinook fix.

In my case this also happened w RTF files which I guess is the same problem, i.e. linked materials.
Yes, Kinook needs to look at this before we can persue further discussion.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
For the following folder structure:

\UR Data\Content_Folder\file-1.doc
\UR Data\Content_Folder\file-2.doc

file-1.doc is Stored Item
file-2.doc is Linked Item

Do a UR Export (to xml) against a branch that contains the above Stored-Linked Items, the path for this export is:

\UR Data\Export_Folder

this export will create this structure:

\UR Data\Export_Folder\export_StoredContent\file-1.doc

Run the Transform vbs from export2.zip and the resulting toc.html will contain a linked reference to each Item (file-1.doc and file-2.doc), but the html link to file-2.doc is dead.

In order to activate the link for file-2.doc I must edit the toc.html and add "../" to the beginning of the referenced path for file-2.doc.

If export2.zip is used to create distributable output (index.html, toc.html, and subfolders for icons and stored content), then it would seem that Linked Content would need to be handled in the same manner as Stored Content.
As long as the exported XML file is created in the same path as the .urd file, the URL for a linked document item with a relative path will be valid in the exported XML/HTML.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kinook
As long as the exported XML file is created in the same path as the .urd file, the URL for a linked document item with a relative path will be valid in the exported XML/HTML.
OK, sorry that didn't dawn on me - so the exported xml file would need to be created in the same folder as the UR data file.

Uhmmm...

OK, relative pathes are maintained for Linked Content stored below the UR data folder - how are the pathes handled for Linked Content that resides outside the UR data path?

I haven't run tests on this, what should I expect?
Old 04-26-2007, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Documents imported (linked) outside of the UR path will be stored with the full drive+path+filename in the URL, which will also be exported to the XML/HTML file.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: