Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-07-2005, 02:27 AM

icon weirdness

First, let me commend you on a fantastic piece of software. Very well thought out and implemented. I have been looking for something like this for years. I will have more substantive comments shortly but I just wanted to ask one nit-pick question right now:

For some unknown reason, the icon for ".doc" items is the Yahoo! icon in my case, rather than the Word icon. Now whenever I link or copy a Word document to any Info Item, it shows the Yahoo! icon. Is there any way to change/correct that? Note that the Template Item attribute does show as "Document" and the icon for the Document Template is the File icon (page with the corner turned down).

Similarly, I'd also like to change the Microsoft Outlook icon that is used for .msg files. But I can't just change the icon assigned to the Document Template, since ".msg" has its own icon.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:01 AM

Interestingly, this problem resolved itself after I rebooted my computer. It now shows Word icons for .doc documents.

I would still be interested to know how I could change the icon for .msg documents.
Old 01-09-2005, 03:54 PM
Administrator

On the first issue, it sounds like UR's internal cache of icons got out of sync (closing and re-opening the database would likely have resolved the problem as well). If you're able to determine the steps that reproduce this issue, let us know and we'll investigate.

There are two options for changing the icon of your imported .msg files:

1) Do an Advanced Search where Icon equals <.msg icon>, select all of the search results, and change the icon in Item Attributes. However, this will only affect existing .msg files (it would have to be done again on .msg files that are imported later).

2) Permanently delete (Ctrl+Shift+Del) all the .msg document items from UR (in order for the cached .msg icon UR is using to also get deleted); change the icon associated with .ico files [1]; and re-import the .msg files. Now when you import a .msg file, UR will use the currently associated icon (and this will affect all future imports, as the icon is loaded into UR when the first document of that type is imported and used for all later imports of that document type).

We do have on our list to allow editing of the icons that UR captures, which would simplify changing the icon used for a document type.

[1] In Windows Explorer, go to Tools | Folder Options | File Types, select MSG in the list control, click Advanced, then Change Icon.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:23 PM

thanks! that worked perfectly.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: