Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 01-17-2012, 03:22 PM

web import problem

web page grab not working for
http://www.todo-backup.com/products/...p-software.htm

http://www.outlinersoftware.com/topi...ur-jan-16-2012
Old 01-23-2012, 06:09 PM

Trying to import (FF) the following page, but getting "Error accessing command line ..."

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=31473
Old 01-23-2012, 06:38 PM
Administrator

The server returns some kind of redirect to a login page. You would need to select the article text before importing.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:04 PM

Is it normal that when one imports a snippet of info from Google News front page (just text of 4-5 lines), using Win+V, UR takes
1) a dozen of seconds (or so) to import it, but
2) every time one accesses this UR page it takes even longer to show the [Stored] snippet, blocking de facto (no response) UR altogether?

Thanks for any tip to deal with this annoyance that makes resonably impossible to import from Google News due to problem 2).
TIA
Old 01-31-2012, 07:53 AM
Administrator

It does take about 7 seconds to import in my tests, and for some reason Internet Explorer takes a long time to display the saved page. Some options: don't display the imported page in UR (hold down Alt when selecting an item like that, or remove .htm;.html from Tools | Options | Browser | File extensions to display in internal browser view, and use Item | Open Document / Show Explorer Menu to open in another browser) or import the page as text instead of HTML (Check Tools | Options | Import | Prefer text/rich text clipboard formats or use Edit | Paste Special | Paste Text / Rich Text).
Old 01-31-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Is it normal that when one imports a snippet of info from Google News front page (just text of 4-5 lines), using Win+V, UR takes
1) a dozen of seconds (or so) to import it, but
2) every time one accesses this UR page it takes even longer to show the [Stored] snippet, blocking de facto (no response) UR altogether?

Thanks for any tip to deal with this annoyance that makes resonably impossible to import from Google News due to problem 2).
TIA
if you use firefox, try Scrapbook extension. I use it all the time with UR, it's a two step process but solves all the issues when UR cannot get proper webpage grab for whatever reason ...
Old 02-01-2012, 03:19 AM

Thanks to the Administrator and quant for the replay.
@Administrator: mileage may vary, but what is unusual is the time that takes to re-display it. Grateful for your suggestions (in my case I test UR on WinXPsp3 and IE8: I do not know if other combinations are better).

@quant: In the scenario above, the grabbing itself is OK: in the sense that it is showed up correctly in UR (in fact I grabbed just text short news). It is the time of import and even more the time that takes to re-access the stored note within UR that surprised me.

Usually I browse with IE, sometimes with FF. In the latter case, you mean the following steps, or something else:
1. Grab the snippet with Scrapbook
2. Copy the snippet in Scrapbook and use Win+V to pass it to UR
3. Delete the snippet in Scrapbook to avoid duplicates.

Thanks for your tip, and correct me if the above steps are faulty.

My workaround was to write some code that cleans the web selection leaving only pure text with no underling html (the script does some other things, like call the right database, etc). In that case the UR grabbing is very quick, but images and special formatting are lost.

Last edited by Anthony; 02-01-2012 at 03:59 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: