Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Visual Build Professional > [VBP] Third Party Tools

Old 12-07-2005, 08:13 AM

v6.0A no longer compiles my VC NEt projects

My script worked fine under 5.7. I upgrade to 6.0A and I get this now:
"
Building project step 'Make VS.NET'...
Error creating custom action 'Make VS.NET': No such interface supported
Step 'Make VS.NET' failed
Build ended.
"
Below is the 5.7 VC NET step that fails in 6.0A:

====

<step action='Make VS.NET'>
<Attr type='11'>0</Attr>
<Config>Release</Config>
<FileVer type='11'>-1</FileVer>
<Filename>%PROJECT_DIR%\PlugInManagerDriver.sln</Filename>
<Force type='3'>1</Force>
<ShowCmd type='11'>-1</ShowCmd>
<condcompareto>1</condcompareto>
<indent type='3'>2</indent>
<name>Build all modules in Release mode</name>
</step>

<macro name='PROJECT_DIR'>
<value>E:\PBProjects\PI\PR_PI_Harness_3.00.00_Priv \PIMC_TestHarness\Dev\PlugInManagerDriver</value>
</macro>

What has changed from 5.7 here?
Old 12-07-2005, 09:01 AM
Administrator

The only change I can think of that could come into play here is that the v6.0 Make VS.NET action was built in VS.NET 2003 (.NET Framework 1.1) rather than VS.NET 2002 (.NET 1.0) and may require that .NET 1.1 be installed on the box (it doesn't use anything that wasn't available in .NET 1.0, but the default versioning policy may require 1.1).

Which version(s) of VC.NET and the .NET Framework do you have installed? If the .NET Framework 1.1 is not installed, try installing it. If it is or installing doesn't help, please send a RegMon [1] log (filtered on visbuildpro) when building that step (start RegMon after opening the VBP project, and just rebuild the Make VS.NET step that is failing, then save the log and ZIP and send it to support@kinook.com).

[1] http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Regmon.html
Old 12-07-2005, 03:29 PM

I have unistalled 6.0 and 5.7 and reinstall 60. That worked. So I guess may be 5.7 and 6.0 toghether on same Pc did not cohabit well
Works now thanks
Old 12-07-2005, 03:53 PM
Administrator

They should run side-by-side without any problems (and do in our tests). Would have been nice to have that log to investigate. But at least you're up an running again.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:43 AM

More details...

I'm having the same problem. When building a C# (VS2005) project using default (=MSBuild) executable, the following error message appears:

Building project step 'Build LM'...
Pre-processing...
Input string was not in a correct format.
Step 'Build LM' failed
Build ended.

If I change the “Override the default location of the DEVENV/MSBUILD/VCBUILD executable” to devenv, then I am able to continue (but then I have other problems with solutions including setup projects)

I’m using VBP v6.0a. Attached is a logfile from regmon performing the failing build step.
Attached Files
File Type: zip regmon.zip (130.0 KB, 1064 views)
Old 12-28-2005, 09:43 AM

Actually this is not the same problem as above, but may be somewhat similar. From the regmon log you provided, it does appear that Visual Build Professional was not able to determine the location of msbuild.exe on your system.

You mention that when you specify the location of devenv, the step worked but you then had other problems. First, it sounds like you are trying to build with msbuild, why don't you instead specify the appropriate location of msbuild.exe? Secondly, what were the problems encountered when specifying devenv?

Does this entry exist in your registry: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\InstallRoot ? From the regmon file, it appears that it does not, which seems to be causing the problem in your situation.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:08 PM

Smile

You are right; the key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\InstallRoot does not exist. If I add the path C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\msbu ild.exe the build is working OK.

When I tried using “devenv”, a couple of my solutions failed. I remember reading somewhere that solutions including setup projects could cause problems when building and I assumed that this was my problem (all other solutions worked OK using “devenv”).

I will now use the path to msbuild and my problems are solved – for now.

Thank you.
Kim

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: