Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 09-22-2007, 11:12 AM

Cool A Few UR Questions

I'm just getting started with UR and have a couple of questions. I tried finding help on these issues, but came up short.

1. Is there a way to open multiple URD database files in the same instance of UR? (i.e. something like sibling root folders or a virtual root folder with one or more URD's open under it like InfoSelect).

2. How can I add an hour or minute reminder to the existing Daily, Weekly, Monthly, etc. reminders?

3. How can I modify a template such as Journal Entry to automatically use the current datetime (in a format I choose) as the item name and also the first line (heading) inside the item?

4. It's nice being able to drag a Website URL from IE onto an item in UR and have it automatically create a child item that opens the URL. However, when I try to do the same thing with a folder in Windows Explorer it doesn't work. Instead I have to create a text document with a hyperlink in it. Is hyperlink my only option?

5. UR spell check does not seem to recognize an em dash, so everywhere an em dash is used spell check combines it with the two adjacent words and flags the result as a misspelled word. Any way to fix this?

Any suggestions on one or more of these questions would be appreciated!

Last edited by mikeg; 09-22-2007 at 03:07 PM.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:59 AM

Re: A Few UR Questions

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeg

1. Is there a way to open multiple URD database files in the same instance of UR? (i.e. something like sibling root folders or a virtual root folder with one or more URD's open under it like InfoSelect).
file/open ...the "trees" are not joined in the explorer. I use the database toolbar to Switch among the data files and set the tools /options/general behavior to display one taskbar item.

Quote:
2. How can I add an hour or minute reminder to the existing Daily, Weekly, Monthly, etc. reminders?
perhaps you don't have the start -time/date, reminder and recurring distinctions clear. see http://www.kinook.com/UltraRecall/Manual/reminders.htm

populate the attributes -Start time and Start date

Quote:
4. It's nice being able to drag a Website URL from IE onto an item in UR and have it automatically create a child item that opens the URL. However, when I try to do the same thing with a folder in Windows Explorer it doesn't work. Instead I have to create a text document with a hyperlink in it. Is hyperlink my only option?
Dropping from Win explorer into UR data explorer window works for me-perhaps related to the options in Options/browser. didn't have the chance to test.

[/B][/QUOTE]
Old 09-23-2007, 07:09 PM

Re: Re: A Few UR Questions

Thanks $bill (nice user name).
Quote:
Originally posted by $bill
file/open ...the "trees" are not joined in the explorer. I use the database toolbar to Switch among the data files and set the tools /options/general behavior to display one taskbar item.
Yeah, I stumbled on the database toolbar shortly after posting. Provides a nice way to switch between databases, but the answer is apparently "no": No multiple databases in a single instance of UR and no ability to search across databases.
Quote:
perhaps you don't have the start -time/date, reminder and recurring distinctions clear. see http://www.kinook.com/UltraRecall/Manual/reminders.htm
populate the attributes -Start time and Start date
[/B]
I'm talking about the recurring attribute. An alert or alarm template could be derived from the appointment template if the recurring attribute included hours and minutes. For example, let's say a job is running and I want to set up an alarm to check available disk space every 30 minutes.
Quote:
Dropping from Win explorer into UR data explorer window works for me-perhaps related to the options in Options/browser. didn't have the chance to test.
[/B]
When I drop a folder address onto an item the folder and any files in it are imported (copied) into UR. What I'd prefer is just a link or shortcut to the folder. I placed a hyperlink in the parent text area instead so this is a minor issue, I just don't know why it behaves differently from Web pages.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Re: A Few UR Questions

Quote:
You could snooze the reminder for x minutes/hours each time it reminds.

Quote:
3. How can I modify a template such as Journal Entry to automatically use the current datetime (in a format I choose) as the item name and also the first line (heading) inside the item?
Use Alt+Z (Edit | Insert Date+Time) to insert a new Journal Entry (set Default Child Template of parent item to Journal Entry), then Alt+Z again to insert the date/time into the detail area. Configure the format used at Tools | Options | Miscellaneous.
http://www.kinook.com/UR/Manual/option_miscdialog.htm

Quote:
Dragging a folder into UR imports that folder (and children). To create an item linked just to the folder, here are a couple ways:
1) Use File | Import | A folder and check 'Don't import files (just create a link to the folder in UR)'; you can drag/drop the folder from Explorer onto the 'Folder to import' field.
http://www.kinook.com/UR/Manual/importfolder.htm

2) Insert a new Folder item, select it, add a URL attribute, and drag/drop the folder onto that attribute

Add *folder to 'Tools | Options | Browser | File extensions to display in internal browser view' to show folder contents in the detail pane.
http://www.kinook.com/UR/Manual/browserdialog.htm

Quote:
5. UR spell check does not seem to recognize an em dash, so everywhere an em dash is used spell check combines it with the two adjacent words and flags the result as a misspelled word. Any way to fix this?
No.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:36 PM

Re: Re: A Few UR Questions

Thanks for responding to the remaining issues.

Quote:
Originally posted by kinook
You could snooze the reminder for x minutes/hours each time it reminds.
Okay as a workaround, but potentially annoying in practice. For example, if you want an alarm to go off at a specific time such as every hour on the hour - if you process the reminder 16 minutes after the hour, you have to snooze for 44 minutes to get back in synch and manually calculate every time unless you snooze instantly when the reminder activates. Not user friendly.

Quote:
Use Alt+Z (Edit | Insert Date+Time) to insert a new Journal Entry (set Default Child Template of parent item to Journal Entry), then Alt+Z again to insert the date/time into the detail area. Configure the format used at Tools | Options | Miscellaneous.
In the interest of full disclosure, I should say I'm another InfoSelect refugee. So,to clarify I'm looking for something like "stamping" where you could use @D @T in a template to automatically insert the current date and time as opposed to having to manually enter it every time. Unless I'm missing something, Alt+Z is just the shortcut for manually entering the datetime and will not dynamically insert current datetime each time the template is used.

Quote:
Dragging a folder into UR imports that folder (and children). To create an item linked just to the folder, here are a couple ways:
1) Use File | Import | A folder and check 'Don't import files (just create a link to the folder in UR)'; you can drag/drop the folder from Explorer onto the 'Folder to import' field.
http://www.kinook.com/UR/Manual/importfolder.htm

2) Insert a new Folder item, select it, add a URL attribute, and drag/drop the folder onto that attribute

Add *folder to 'Tools | Options | Browser | File extensions to display in internal browser view' to show folder contents in the detail pane.
http://www.kinook.com/UR/Manual/browserdialog.htm
Okay, this works, but the result is a little disappointing now that I see a link will not display Windows Explorer content inside UR.

Quote:
No.
You don't seem concerned or interested in this bug, but congratulations on winning the gold medal for clarity and succinctness.

Last edited by mikeg; 10-02-2007 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:21 AM

Re: Re: Re: A Few UR Questions

Quote:
[B]

In the interest of full disclosure, I should say I'm another InfoSelect refugee. So,to clarify I'm looking for something like "stamping" where you could use @D @T in a template to automatically insert the current date and time as opposed to having to manually enter it every time. Unless I'm missing something, Alt+Z is just the shortcut for manually entering the datetime and will not dynamically insert current datetime each time the template is used.
this is a very good suggestion!
Old 10-03-2007, 06:34 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Okay, this works, but the result is a little disappointing now that I see a link will not display Windows Explorer content inside UR.
Not sure what you mean by this -- if configured as described, selecting a folder item or clicking a link to a folder will show the folder content in Windows Explorer embedded in the UR detail pane.

Quote:
You don't seem concerned or interested in this bug, but congratulations on winning the gold medal for clarity and succinctness.
It's on our list to investigate. For now, unchecking 'Tools | Spelling Options | Check spelling as you type' might improve things.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kinook
Not sure what you mean by this -- if configured as described, selecting a folder item or clicking a link to a folder will show the folder content in Windows Explorer embedded in the UR detail pane.
Based on your feedback, I tried folder link again and it's working great now! I used the second technique, but neglected to put *folder in browser extensions.

Quote:
It's on our list to investigate. For now, unchecking 'Tools | Spelling Options | Check spelling as you type' might improve things.
Thanks.

Quant, thanks for the supporting comment. I plan to post application variables ("stamping") along with some other wish-list items in the suggestions area.

Last edited by mikeg; 10-05-2007 at 10:57 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: