Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Visual Build Professional > [VBP] Third Party Tools

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-23-2009, 03:18 PM

DevEnvVarDir var in Visual Build 7.2

Hi,

How DevEnvDir is being set in Visual Build 7.2. While compiling my VS 2008 project which has a POST build command , I am getting following error

(PostBuildEvent target) ->
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\Microsoft. Common.targets(3397,13): error MSB3073: The command ""*Undefined*..\..\SDK\v3.5\Bin\sgen.exe" /a:"W:\Bin\UIW.Framework.Settings.Shell.dll" /force" exited with code 3.

Though Sgen.exe exists as defined in the Post Build command within the project/solution.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Some possibilities:
http://www.bokebb.com/dev/english/19...96766522.shtml
http://www.google.com/search?q=msb3073+undefined+sgen

VBP itself doesn't create or use a DevEnvDir or DevEnvVarDir environment variable (?).

It is Visual Studio (msbuild/vcbuild/devenv) that actually performs the building of a VS solution or project (and is reporting the error), not VBP itself. And building a VS project from the command-line is not identical to building in the VS IDE. If building via MSBuild does not work, you might try using devenv (enter devenv in the Override field on the Advanced tab), as this will be closer to what the IDE does when building. Even then, we have heard of situations where building from the command-line doesn't work even when building in the IDE does. You can check the Log the command-line checkbox on the Advanced tab, rebuild the step, and provide the msbuild/devenv command to MS when submitting a support incident.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:06 PM

Hi,

Thanks for your quick turn around. However as mentioned in one of the URL the FrameWorkSDKDir still does not work with "Reference" path e.g. ($FrameWorkSDKDir\..\..\abc\somedir\some. exe (atleast with MSBuild), it ONLY works if one would use "apsolute path"...which is true with DevEnvDir as well.

Again Thanks for absolutely "fantastic" customer support.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:09 PM
Administrator

As mentioned, you would need to direct MSBuild questions/issues to Microsoft.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kinook
As mentioned, you would need to direct MSBuild questions/issues to Microsoft.
Dea Sir,

It seems that problem (at least what I am having) has nothing todo with Microsoft rather it seems to be a very specifc problem to Visual Build 7.2 version.

When I compile my Sln file with MSBUILD (Command Line - Msbuild aa.sln) everything compiles fine however when I create an VS 2008 event in Visual Build 7.2 to compile the same project, I get the error "refernced dll not found" though the DLL is being copied in the pre-determined destination location.

The command VisualBuild 7.2 create for an VS 2008 event for a solution compilation is

msbuild.exe W:\Foldr1\foldr2\project.sln /t:rebuild /p:Configuration=Release "/p:Platform=Any CPU" /maxcpucount

if you run ABOVE command with MSBUILD on COMMAND LINE , this command also generate the same "referenced DLL not found error"

hence it seems there is an issue with implementation of VS2008 event in Visual Build.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ShiamakD
Dea Sir,

It seems that problem (at least what I am having) has nothing todo with Microsoft rather it seems to be a very specifc problem to Visual Build 7.2 version.

When I compile my Sln file with MSBUILD (Command Line - Msbuild aa.sln) everything compiles fine however when I create an VS 2008 event in Visual Build 7.2 to compile the same project, I get the error "refernced dll not found" though the DLL is being copied in the pre-determined destination location.

The command VisualBuild 7.2 create for an VS 2008 event for a solution compilation is

msbuild.exe W:\Foldr1\foldr2\project.sln /t:rebuild /p:Configuration=Release "/p:Platform=Any CPU" /maxcpucount

if you run ABOVE command with MSBUILD on COMMAND LINE , this command also generate the same "referenced DLL not found error"

hence it seems there is an issue with implementation of VS2008 event in Visual Build.

Hi I have determined that it is /maxcpucount switch in msbuild.exe W:\Foldr1\foldr2\project.sln /t:rebuild /p:Configuration=Release "/p:Platform=Any CPU" /maxcpucount full command thats causing the whole "Referenced DLL not found" issue, if you remove /maxcpucount and run the WHOLE command from command line then it works perfectly fine.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Hi I have determined that it is /maxcpucount switch in msbuild.exe W:\Foldr1\foldr2\project.sln /t:rebuild /p:Configuration=Release "/p:Platform=Any CPU" /maxcpucount full command thats causing the whole "Referenced DLL not found" issue, if you remove /maxcpucount and run the WHOLE command from command line then it works perfectly fine.
I am sorry I forgot to mention that I solved teh original issue "sgen.exe" by removing referenced path ... then i started getting "referenced DLL not found" DLL which is being referenced in one of the DLL project that I have.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Just another update..

If you change the command from msbuild.exe W:\Foldr1\foldr2\project.sln /t:rebuild /p:Configuration=Release "/p:Platform=Any CPU" /maxcpucount TO

msbuild.exe W:\Foldr1\foldr2\project.sln /t:rebuild /p:Configuration=Release "/p:Platform=Any CPU" /maxcpucount:1 (please notice :1 after /maxcpucount) then EVERYTHING works on command line.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:18 PM
Administrator

The Make VS 2008 action doesn't add /maxcpucount (with or without the :1) to the msbuild command-line. You must have added it to the Additional options field on the Options tab. Remove it or make sure it is set properly.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
The Make VS 2008 action doesn't add /maxcpucount (with or without the :1) to the msbuild command-line. You must have added it to the Additional options field on the Options tab. Remove it or make sure it is set properly.
hi,

I dont have ANYTHING in the OPTIONS tab. Only thing i see it MSBuild login Level selected as Detault.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
hi,

I dont have ANYTHING in the OPTIONS tab. Only thing i see it MSBuild login Level selected as Detault.
Addtional option text box is blank
Old 10-01-2009, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Sorry, I misspoke. Enter 1 in the 'MSBuild parallel builds' fields.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I misspoke. Enter 1 in the 'MSBuild parallel builds' fields.
YUP....that did it.

I looked through your(VBL) help and I didnt find anything in this regard.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:35 PM
Administrator

http://www.kinook.com/VisBuildPro/Ma...optionstab.htm

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: