Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 06-10-2008, 03:44 PM

Location: I live in a small village a few minutes south of Ottawa, Canada
Unhappy Internal versus External Viewing of Web Pages

I've got a database with linked web pages in it that naturally open in the internal browser.

I've also got a csv file with a whole bunch of web pages (Item Titles and URLs) that I'd like to import and to open in the internal browser. No matter what I do after importing them, seemingly successfully, I can't get them to open internally. When I click on one of the items I've imported, there's the link "Click here to open linked document" displayed in the item detail. Now, I've been careful to import to document-type items and I've used the two item attributes "Item Title" and "URL" only.

Can you tell me what the heck I'm doing wrong here?
Old 06-10-2008, 04:11 PM

Launch the Item Attribute pane (Ctrl-4) for the Document Items created from the csv import and look at the value for DocType (default seems to be 13), try changing this to "1" (w/o the quotes).

This DocType value is different depending on the type of document stored. I recall seeing a list of these values but can't put my finger on it. If the above change works you can apply the Attribute change across mutliple selections, or (possibly) set the value during the import stage.

Maybe Kinook has a better answer (more depth).

EDIT: Obvious question, look at Tools | Options | Broswer - file extensions to display in internal browser - should look something like this:

.html;.htm;.mht;.ico;.doc;.xls;.ppt;.pdf;.zip;*fol der

Last edited by ashwken; 06-10-2008 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:16 AM

Location: I live in a small village a few minutes south of Ottawa, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by ashwken
Launch the Item Attribute pane (Ctrl-4) for the Document Items created from the csv import and look at the value for DocType (default seems to be 13), try changing this to "1" (w/o the quotes).

This DocType value is different depending on the type of document stored. I recall seeing a list of these values but can't put my finger on it. If the above change works you can apply the Attribute change across mutliple selections, or (possibly) set the value during the import stage.

Maybe Kinook has a better answer (more depth).

EDIT: Obvious question, look at Tools | Options | Broswer - file extensions to display in internal browser - should look something like this:

.html;.htm;.mht;.ico;.doc;.xls;.ppt;.pdf;.zip;*fol der
WOW! That did it. Nice secret. Next time I create a bunch of links from an external file, I'll add the DocType column to each record with a value of 1.

Your afterthought about internal browser extensions was a good one, but here I've got URLs without extensions. It's a completely dynamic site where every page is produced by a call to a cgi monster followed by parameters.

THANK YOU. You get the weekly award for obscure info. I am so glad I asked.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: