Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Visual Build Professional > [VBP] General Discussion

Old 10-25-2006, 02:32 PM

Output window focus uses cpu cycles

We have a new build machine which is a server class machine running 2003 Server on VMware. I have installed the latest VBP 6.2 and am setting up the enviroment and running tests. One thing I have found is that if my build is stopped and the cursor is in the "Output" window the CPU cycles up to 25 - 50%. If I put my focus back to the "Project Steps" it drops to 0-1%. I can repeat this all day long. It is consistently happening. Could this be an issue in VBP or possibly the OS?

Also does anyone have experience running builds on VMware? I am finding that the build are taking twice as long as on my old machine which is a desktop class machine.

Thanks

Tom
Old 10-25-2006, 08:48 PM
Administrator

I wasn't able to reproduce this on a Windows 2003 guest on Virtual PC 2004 (XP SP2 host). Which VMware product/version are you running? What host OS? Does this occur with an empty output pane, or how much text is in it, and does clearing the pane and lowering 'Tools | User Options | Output | Maximum length of output pane' make a difference?
Old 10-25-2006, 10:19 PM

I need to get that information from our IS department.

The CPU spike happens all the time. If there is text or no text. I thought that is was something new in 6.2 where the data was analyzed somehow so I cleared the window. It still happens. I may try to load it on another 2003 server that is not running on VMware.

It may be the box, but I'm not sure yet. I have noticed that the build is 50% slower on this new platform. So we may have some issue there that is bleeding into the application causing the CPU to spike. If you wish I can get you a series of screen shots showing what I am talking about.

I will send another reply tomorrow when I get the data from our IS department.

BTW - I reinstalled 6.0 and the CPU spike does not happpen with that version.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:35 AM

UPDATE: I did not realize that the host OS was running a 2K3 Server (64 bit). Even when I loaded VBP on the host outside of VMWare and put focus in the output window I saw a rise in the CPU and it held until the focus left. I tested this on a test machine with 2K3 Server 32 bit and did not see the CPU spike. We have since removed the 64 bit version and reinstalled the 32 bit 2K3 Server and everything works fine.

So bottom line is you may want to review the 2K3 Server 64 bit edition.

Thanks

Tom
Old 11-08-2006, 08:47 AM
Administrator

I was not able to reproduce this behavior w/ Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard x64 Edition and AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core CPU.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:42 AM

Thanks for the effort in trying to reproduce this issue. Now that we are running good we are pleased with the updates in 6.2a.

Once again thanks for your time.

Tom

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: