Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Visual Build Professional > [VBP] General Discussion

Old 08-10-2006, 11:01 AM

Log of nested VB projects

Hi there. I have a VB project that calls multiple other VB projects. I am trying to produce a complete log that includes all the "child" projects as well as the "parent" project.

I looked at the default log file, and it only contains logs from the begining of the last "child" project, to the end of the "parent".

I tired to use "write log" action before calling each "child" project to append the log up to that point to a complete log file. I was able to produce a complete log, but there was one odd problem. The first part of each "child" project (the first 10 steps or so) is repeated twice in the complete log. Any ideas? Thanks!
Old 08-10-2006, 11:59 AM
Administrator

As long as all projects write to the same log file (for instance, by configuring globally at Tools | Application Options | Logging, or defining at File | Properties | Logging for the parent project and specifying a log filename of %LOGFILE% when chaining) and you don't have 'Tools | Application Options | Logging | Delete log file at the start of each build' checked (and are not deleting the log file within the build), the log file will automatically contain the output of the parent and all chained builds. The attached sample logs the output of the parent and all child projects (to test.log in the path of the .bld files) in my tests.

If that doesn't help, please ZIP and send or post:
1) The info from Help | About | Install Info
2) A reproducible test case (.bld file that can be built here and reproduces the problem)
3) The build log file
Attached Files
File Type: zip chain.zip (695 Bytes, 788 views)
Old 08-10-2006, 12:23 PM

Yes, the project level log file took care of it. The problem was that all of the build projects were logging to the global log file and they were all set to clear the contents of the file before starting to log.

Thank you!!

Nabil

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: