Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Old 09-02-2010, 01:38 PM

reference-able variables

I was thinking again about being able to batch-modify a number of items, e.g., the Beginning Date of a number of tasks, or the name of a project which serves as a prefix for tasks under the project, etc.

One (perhaps simpler?) way to handle this would be to let me define things as a variable and then reference the variable as needed. Perhaps have a Variable Pane so that I could easily see all the variables I have created, and where clicking on a variable, I could see all the items that in some way call it or depend upon it.

Then, if I change the variable, all items that use it would change along with it.

I can see some possible problems with this, for example wanting to change only some, but not all of the items making use of the variable. I can come up with ideas about how to handle that, but it's a complexity I won't deal with in this introduction to the suggestion.

I also think things like search and replace that spans changes all instances or that goes through all items and asks if I want to change it would be a logical evolution for URP. But access to variables seems like a natural (to this non-techie) in a database setting.

Thoughts?

- Bal
Old 11-11-2010, 08:20 PM

Location: I live in a small village a few minutes south of Ottawa, Canada
You're brushing up against the early days of MS Access

There is no question the temptation is great to make UR user programmable beyond all the settings and the excellent query tool. This notion of "programmability" is a dilemma that tool makers struggle against. Before too long (say somewhere around UR version 8 or 9) we'd have 3rd parties writing UR applications (hyper-templates) and the guys at Kinook would never see the light of day again.

There's no question we could use a few more features and a little more database-like access to our data, but it's a slippery slope. Be careful what you wish for.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:51 AM

There is no need for me to be careful for what I wish for. There is every need for Kinook to be careful about what wishes they grant. I am content with that balance.

- Bal

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: