Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2007, 06:23 AM

Importing '.doc files using text template not as 'stored document'.

Kinook,
I was migrating some content from an old app to UR. I have this content available in directory tree as '.doc' files. I used the import utility and it worked fine. However, I noticed that this content got into UR as type of 'stored document'. I think I remember from using older versions of UR, that it used to import the '.doc' files as RTF content directly into UR editor as 'text' type. I could not figure how to do that though.

How do I tell UR NOT to import them as stored docs, but as content into UR's native editor as 'text' i.e. using text template?
Old 05-29-2007, 09:48 AM
Administrator

UR will only import .doc files as Word document items. You could save the .doc files as .rtf and then import the .rtf files instead. The attached sample demonstrates automating this conversion (extract it to a folder containing .doc files and double-click in Explorer to save all .doc files as .rtf).
Attached Files
File Type: zip savedocasrtf.zip (586 Bytes, 1202 views)
Old 05-29-2007, 10:17 AM

Actually I mis-stated my original post. The files were; indeed; .rtf not .doc files. I probably thought they were because they had same blue icon for MS Word.

I imported these files again, but they still got in as 'document' type not as 'text'. Please see attached file. These are my import settings ...

- process files in subdir
- recreate dir structure.
- Store file contents in UR

See attached file. You can relate the info item names that includes '.rtf' in the name and info item template item which says 'document' instead of 'text'.

What I missing?
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2007, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Imported .rtf files will have a document template, but if stored in UR they can still be edited with the UR rich text editor.