Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Visual Build Professional > [VBP] Third Party Tools

Old 06-24-2005, 01:52 PM

INCLUDE environment variable is different in VisualBuild

When building a VS.NET 2003 project in VB Pro 5.7 IDE that references #include "MSADO15.dll", it fails. If I build that project f
from VS.NET 2003 IDE environment, it succeeds.

If I build the project from the command line using the same command line commands (devenv.com) that VB Pro appears to use, it also succeeds. It is only failing from within the VB Pro IDE saying it can't find msado15.dll. It makes me suspicious that somehow the VB Pro process is changing the environment variables.

The difference is the INCLUDE environment variable. I have configured VS.NET 2003 to dump the environment to the buildlog.htm file. When it is built from VB Pro IDE, that htm file shows a different INCLUDE environment variable (one that doesn't contain c:\program files\common files\system\ado") than the HTM would show if built from within the VS.NET 2003 IDE or from the command line executing devenv.com which does include c:\program files\common files\system\ado.

Any thoughts on how this could happen?
Old 06-24-2005, 02:03 PM

Funny thing is that it appeared to fix itself when I exited that Visual Build Pro application and restarted it. The INCLUDE enviroment variable appeared correctly.

This whole thing started because I have setup a scheduled task to run during the night to perform a build on our product. Sometimes that task never really starts and we're not sure why. Last night was an example.

So, today, after last nights failure, I attempted to start it from the IDE and that is when I had the problem. One suspicious thing is that the IDE was already loaded and my user was already logged into the machine over night. I'm wondering if running it as a scheduled task somehow caused my currently running VB Pro IDE to have the wrong environment and that is why it was failing and fixed itself when I reloaded the IDE.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: