Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2008, 12:47 PM

Free-floating sidenote

One of the features I like about Microsoft OneNote, and one reason I don't try to do everything in UR, is OneNote's ability to create a sidenote that stays visibile no matter where you are in it or another program.

It's handy to have a free-floating note pane that allows me to take notes on multiple items at once. I don't see a way to do that in UR, unless I'm missing something.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:28 AM

I do that by using the facility in UR to open a document externally (ctrl+J). I can edit that document outside UR while viewing or working with other items in UR.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:43 AM

Thanks for the top. A little too awkward for me, though, since on my system that opens Word, which I prefer not to use and which doesn't have an "Always on top" feature like OneNote's sidenote, which I continue to use with UR.

There are 3rd-party programs to keep Word or another program on top, but all-in-all it's just easier to stick with OneNote for that.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:55 AM

This may not be quite what you want but how about trying a Sticky note program like TurboNote or NoteZilla. These allow you to write whatevery you want, can stay on top, can "roll up" their focus when you are not actually writing to them (option) and you can transfer your notes to wherever you want.

Don Spady
Old 02-12-2008, 12:14 PM

A good suggestion also, but what I really want is to not have to cut and paste from another program back into UR as I go about my business. OneNote does the job for me now, and I'm not looking to replace it with something else, but it'd be nice to not have to do it at all and stay completely within UR.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lascasas
A good suggestion also, but what I really want is to not have to cut and paste from another program back into UR as I go about my business. OneNote does the job for me now, and I'm not looking to replace it with something else, but it'd be nice to not have to do it at all and stay completely within UR.
I agree with lascasas, this could be nice addition to UR. Right-click on tab or in the tree, and make it float + be able to set always on top. The problem is, that at moment only one item is "ON", so I don't know how this would be implemented ... well, that's Kinook's job ;-)