Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Visual Build Professional > [VBP] General Discussion

Old 06-13-2003, 04:27 PM

Deleting COM+ Components

I'm trying to delete COM+ components and not having any success. I first add the components, using my COM+ application name in the "Application" field and the name of a .Net .dll that contains serviced components in the "Component" field. That operation works fine, but when try to delete them, using the same value for Application and Component, the step completes with the following message:

0 component(s) deleted
Build successfully completed.

When I check in the Component Services applet, the components have not been removed. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
Ron Selby
Old 06-16-2003, 12:33 PM
Administrator

The action is not finding a match for any components in the application. When using a Delete operation in the COM+ Component action, if anything other than '*' is specified in the Component field of the action, the value entered is compared (non-case-sensitive) with the ProgId and DLL properties of each component in the application, and each matching component is deleted.

Create a COM+ Component step with a Report operation and a Component of * and see what properties the components in the application have. The Server.bld sample demonstrates essentially what you described and it always matched the DLL property in our tests, but we did not test .NET assemblies. Perhaps it is assigning a different DLL property to the component than the actual assembly filename?
Old 06-16-2003, 01:15 PM

The DLL property for all the components is 'mscoree.dll'. This is the same value when I get when using the Component Services applet and view the properties of the components. The only way we have found to remove .net assemblies from COM+ is to use the registrationhelper class from the .net framework.

Ron Selby
Old 08-05-2003, 04:40 PM

Question Delete COM+ component _Same problem

Hi,

I am currently moving script from Visual Build 3.6 to 5.0 pro. I have encountered what seems like the same problem as described by Ron100, but for non .Net .dlls

When I add the dll. I use the full path, and when I remove it using the built in "COM+ Component" I use the exact same path as well.

When I add it, everything seems to work fine, but when I delete it, it only deletes parts of it. If I re-run the step, it will delete some more parts, and so on. So for the particular .dll I added, I have to manually run the step 3 times to finish cleaning up the com+ component.

I am not familiar with COM+ so I hope someone can help me with this...

Thanks.
julie
Old 10-23-2003, 02:29 PM

Delete Com+ Apps

I have a script step that nukes all standard com apps. Hope that helps.

Call DeleteCOMApp("App1")
Call DeleteCOMApp("App2")
Call DeleteCOMApp("Etc")
' and so on ..

Sub DeleteCOMApp(sAppName)
Dim oAdminCatalog
Dim oApps
Dim i, bFound

bFound = False

Set oAdminCatalog = CreateObject("COMAdmin.COMAdminCatalog")
Set oApps = oAdminCatalog.GetCollection("Applications")

oApps.Populate

For i = 0 To oApps.Count - 1
If oApps.Item(i).Name = sAppName Then
oAdminCatalog.ShutDownApplication(sAppName)
oApps.Remove (i)
oApps.SaveChanges
trace "Removed """ & sAppName & """ Application."
bFound = True
Exit For
End If
Next

If Not bFound Then trace "Skipping """ & sAppName & """. Could not find."

End Sub

Sub Trace(byval sMsg)
Builder.LogMessage sMsg
End Sub
Old 03-22-2006, 07:55 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to mvermeulen
Did this issue ever get resolved with the COM+ Component Action? I am running VBP 6.1 and have noticed exactly the same problem with an older application that has many COM+ Components.
The components are all written in VB6 and it will not delete properly. This did work correctly in the past... Help?
Old 03-22-2006, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Try re-downloading http://www.kinook.com/Download/VisBuildProEval.exe and installing. v6.1 introduced a bug where it would match only on the ProgId and not DLL filename when updating properties or deleting components, and we just uploaded a patch for this issue.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:46 AM

The last time I downloaded was around March 8. Has this been released since this time? Is there anything to indicate this is a later build? I don't see anything that indicates anything other than "6.1".

Thanks...
Old 03-23-2006, 09:39 AM
Administrator

After downloading and installing http://www.kinook.com/Download/VisBuildProEval.exe, the version of VisBuildExt.dll in Help | About | Install Info will be 6.1.0.1.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:58 AM

Thank you. I do see the difference now that you help me know what to look for. I had made a copy of each output, prior to and after updating.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: