Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Visual Build Professional > [VBP] Third Party Tools

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-25-2004, 10:37 AM

Send a message via ICQ to AlexB
Pass parameters to InstallShield 10.5

I have a problem with passing parameters to InstallShield 10.5.

For InstallShield 10.5 VBP use one step building using IsCmdBld.exe. The problem is IsCmdBld.exe doesn't support -d option (define macro).

For InstallShield 7.01 VBP uses two-steps build: Compile.exe for compilation and IsBuild.exe for building. Compile.exe support -d option.

How can I pass the -d option to the compiler of InstallShield 10.5 in the VBP?

Now I use custom step Compile.exe with -d option and after that IsBuild.exe, i.e. I use the InstallShield 7 building schema manualy.

I wrote to InstallShield support mail about this problem (passing parameters for IsCmdBld.exe), but not received answer yet.

Thanks for your support.
Old 11-26-2004, 09:51 PM

Installshield 10.5/X merged two distinct Installshield products (one MSI-based, the other was proprietary technology). With the merge, a single command-line interface was provided for automating compilation. Apparently some functionality that is specific to one of these previous apps is not currently exposed via this common command-line interface. We only support the common interface, and don't have plans for additional implementations. Currently the workaround you mention is a viable solution. If Installshield in the future extends the common interface options, it will be accessible from the Visual Build Professional custom action and we may provide custom input fields for that functionality.
Old 11-28-2004, 02:22 AM

Send a message via ICQ to AlexB
There is this custom field already, but dosn't work. In the Options tab there is the filed for pass parameters to Compile.exe, but I can't use it.

I think you have to gray-out this field if InstallShield 10.5 is selected or use two-step build scenario (Compile.exe, IsBuild.exe, like previous versions).

Thanks.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: