Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 12-16-2010, 08:37 AM

History Drop Down

Kindly consider the option to add a new drop down menu option that contains the history of the last x documents opened.

Reason is I have 1000+ documents and go back and forth to many documents all day long, having the ability to click on a drop down of History on the last 25+ documents would make it very easy to re-open the documents I needed for that specific day.

Why not use favorites? Well each day I open different documents and the Favorites is limited.

Why not create a search for the documents based on accessed date? This is the work around but it would be cleaner and more professional to have a drop down menu to include this functionality. Furthermore, I would imagine that there would be a percentage of users that do not use the searches and would prefer an easier way to locate documents recently opened.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:11 AM
Administrator

Attached Images

Old 12-16-2010, 12:52 PM

thx
Old 12-22-2010, 03:28 AM

1)

Could you consider a better / additional way of implementing this function?

a) (minimal) Have not only shortkeys for goback, goforth, but also for displaying the whole list, that is, giving shortkeys for the current need to click with mouse on the very tiny down arrows there in your screen shot. I know such mouse clicks can be done with a macro, but a solution in UR itself would be most welcome.

b) (far better even) Have a way to lay out the history list into a dockable frame, like the search results, and even into the SAME frame as the search results, giving a toggle / command to replace the search results in that frame, or display that frame with search results, or with the history, when doing the according command. (Ideally, the search results should be stored in an array so that you can go back to them by toggle.)

Please note that displaying the history in such a way is NOT just another / neater way of displaying them, but that it would bring enhanced functionality:

With the actual list, after clicking on an item there, the list vanishes, and every time, you must go back to the (mouse) command in order to display the list anew, in order to select another item there; if you make available the history list in the search frame or in another, special frame in the way of the search frame, we could freely select items there, without the need to go back and forth between a vanishing list and several / multiple items we select from there.

2)

The same would apply to the favorites: They, also, should be available by a frame in which they are constantly displayed, in the search frame, which this way would contain three different sets of item lists, to be chosen from the last-applied command in this respect (control-1 = show search results in special pane, control-2 = show history in special pane, control-3 = show favorites in special pane) - or one search pane, and an additional pane to be displayed at the will of the user, with a toggle (control-1 = show special pane with history, also control-1 = show special pane with favorites; both: display the special pane if it's not yet displayed, or show just the other array in it if it's displayed yet)

Could you consider those ideas? I'm sure most users would use those features / lists daily as soon as they'd be there!

Thank you very much for giving your opinion about these.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by schferk
1)

Could you consider a better / additional way of implementing this function?

a) (minimal) Have not only shortkeys for goback, goforth, but also for displaying the whole list, that is, giving shortkeys for the current need to click with mouse on the very tiny down arrows there in your screen shot. I know such mouse clicks can be done with a macro, but a solution in UR itself would be most welcome.
Attached Images

Old 12-22-2010, 08:37 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by schferk
2)

The same would apply to the favorites: They, also, should be available by a frame in which they are constantly displayed, in the search frame, which this way would contain three different sets of item lists, to be chosen from the last-applied command in this respect (control-1 = show search results in special pane, control-2 = show history in special pane, control-3 = show favorites in special pane) - or one search pane, and an additional pane to be displayed at the will of the user, with a toggle (control-1 = show special pane with history, also control-1 = show special pane with favorites; both: display the special pane if it's not yet displayed, or show just the other array in it if it's displayed yet)
Attached Images

Old 12-22-2010, 09:28 AM

Thank you very much for the two answers, but unfortunately, they don't answer my questions. I know those menus / drop down lists in the menus. What I am asking for is a way to constantly display the history and / or the favorites, like you can constantly display the search results at the time being: As explained by me, the conceptual difference would be that to display any item from your menu lists, you alway would need to display the menu lists anew, whereas in the way I would like to have those lists displayed (additionally, I'm not asking for eliminating the menu lists), you could freely select one item in the continuously-displayed list, then another, then another, WITHOUT having to display a drop-down menu first that, at its current state, is vanishing every time you select an item in it. I'm kindly asking for those history and favorites lists in the same form as is the search result list at the time being. Could you please comment on your opinion about this?
Old 12-22-2010, 01:24 PM
Administrator

The history/favorite lists are just a keystroke away (Alt+G/Alt+A), and I'm unsure of the benefit to adding even more panes (even if always displayed, they would still be a keystroke away to focus that pane). For favorites, you can also display the Favorites toolbar to keep them always displayed.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:13 PM

It would not be "additional panes", it would be the possibility to have in the panes what you really need within your sight for your real work, instead of having things there you don't want, when having problems to get to those you need. I, for example, don't need the calendar, do not need the child items - especially when it replaces the search results list against my will!!!!!!!!!!! -, and I don't need the attributes panes either, but I need the item parents since this is, for the moment and perhaps forever, the only way to access clones by search, in two steps that is, where one step should suffice (see the current thread on this please), and I would so much need a history pane (when favorites are not so important, since you can put shortkeys to them, and they are always the same).

So it's not that I'm not happy with 10 panes and want 15 of them; it's just that it would be kind and nice of yours to allow us some decision on behalf of the CONTENT of those panes available in order to organize our work the way we happen to feel best for best results.

Panes questions have been appearing in this forum FOR YEARS, and without a solution that technically would then not be so far away, I suppose.

So, could those panes questions be resolved in the professional version at least, in order to make it interesting for Kinook to implement them, after years of asking from various users for them?

UR is the best information manager I know, but it's just that this pane question has been there for many years, and every time somebody has brought it on, he's got your polite "NO" as I do now. Where's the REAL problem of all this, I wonder then?

Couldn't you just be nice, finally, knowing for years that most of UR users would really be fond of you for getting some FLEXIBILITY in their pane use? Finally, all those lists are there, everywhere, in array form, so putting them into the panes of their choice could not be really difficult?

And then, WHO really needs the ever-self-imposing children pane where the children are in alphabetical (!) order, mandatorily (so that you need the tree on top of it in order to have them in the order of YOUR choice)? I suppose that those who need alphabetic children, here and there, have them in the tree like that yet.

Right?
Old 12-22-2010, 03:48 PM
Administrator

AFAIK, yours is the first request for a way to constantly display history and favorites like that. There was a request to have an option for which favorites to show on the favorites toolbar, which has been noted.

The Child Items pane can be sorted by column(s) selected by the user, including the Tree Order column to sort in the same order as the tree.
http://www.kinook.com/UltraRecall/Ma...tomization.htm
http://www.kinook.com/UltraRecall/Ma...attributes.htm

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: