Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Visual Build Professional > [VBP] General Discussion

Old 03-02-2004, 10:35 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to mvermeulen
Calling other Visual Build Pro Projects

I would like to build a number of library projects that I can reuse in other master projects. I see how you can pass parameters to the sub projects but can you also return inforation to the parent?

Once example is to read a configuration file (INI) and store the values for use within the master. Do these have to be set as global or system macros for them to be available to the master?
Old 03-02-2004, 11:04 AM
Administrator

A few options:

1) Store the "out" values in global macros. Whenever a step completes, if global macros have been modified, they are written to the global macros file, and when a step starts, if the global macros file is newer than the ones that are loaded (i.e., were modified in another instance of VBP), they are re-loaded from disk.

2) Store the values in an INI file using the Write INI action, and read them using the READ_INI system macro. You could also write/read an XML document, a plain file, etc.

3) Instead of using separate project files for the master/library steps, use subroutines in a single project file. Store "out" values in temporary macros in the subroutines.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: