Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Old 06-02-2008, 05:29 PM

1. better support for internal links:
- internal links pane: would show items that link to current item
- being able to search for internal links

2. full featured calendar with all the bells and whistles

3. better advertising ;-)
- lots of online videos showing "how to" do sth, explaining attributes and basics of databases to beginners and how the user can benefit from that, case studies (made from the existing sample files).
Old 06-03-2008, 04:41 AM

These would be nice (though already requested)

1. When searching for certain words or phrases, the hits should be numbered (i.e., the total number of hits will be indicated on the status bar), and the hits should be individually highlighted. Plus, convenient hit-to-next-hit navigation buttons. Finally, a multi-database search function. Make this happen, Kinook. The current search functions simply won't do.

2. Internal editing available for all forms of stored data (from xps to pdf formats). Once data is imported or copied into an item in UR, it should be editable. Good luck on this one.

3. Online videos for new users ("UR for Dummies," so to speak), and obviously not ones created by superpower-users or, heaven forbid, the programmers themselves. This has been requested numerous times, but so far not a peep from Kinook. Perhaps a senior member with a lot of time on his or her hands (plus the ability to explain things clearly in simple English) could volunteer to make some Camtasias. Just a thought.

P.s.: Tablet PC inking features, but I won't hold my breath on this one.

Last edited by tfjern; 06-03-2008 at 04:47 AM.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:53 PM

Location: I live in a small village a few minutes south of Ottawa, Canada
Most missed: Quick and easy web-based publishing with full explorer panel functionality, like I used to have with TreePad which I stopped using because UR is so superior in so many other ways.

To Standout: Web-based publishing first, then the ability for site visitors to leave comments in items, then the ability for the site owner to extract the comments back into his/her UR database. Finally, and I know this is ridiculous, UR becomes the front end of a wiki-like shared publishing system, that operates on Mac or PC. PUBLIC COLLABORATION is where the web is going; this kind of ability/functionality would make UR huge, IMHO. I could use it for all my private purposes on my own machine and then share certain databases all over the world.

Attract New Geek Users: Turn column views into live databases like an MS Access table, with full-editing, insert, delete, and the ability to create and add new attributes while still in the columns view.

Attract New Normal users: The control over whether documents are stored and edited internally is confusing and kind of scary at first. My biggest initial doubt was putting all my eggs (documents) in one basket (the UR database), so clearly dealing with this and allowing a complete and perfect export to a filesystem folder tree would make people feel better about trying UR in the first place. Afterall , the product is called UltraRecall not StoreAll. Once it can be trusted to connect to documents harmlessly, people will get to know its other virtues and buy in more happily.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:00 PM

Location: I live in a small village a few minutes south of Ottawa, Canada
Re: These would be nice (though already requested)

Quote:
Originally posted by tfjern
1. When searching for certain words or phrases, the hits should be numbered (i.e., the total number of hits will be indicated on the status bar), and the hits should be individually highlighted. Plus, convenient hit-to-next-hit navigation buttons. Finally, a multi-database search function. Make this happen, Kinook. The current search functions simply won't do.

You're absolutely right about the searching and search term highlighting. I used to work for a text-indexing product company. Ranking and search term highlighting in proprietary document formats was extremely important and well-supported in search products even back then (mid 90's).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: